mysterious connectors in trunk...

jb89coupe

Sep 3, 2004
CT
Just gutting my interior today (overhaul this winter) and I came across these 2 connectors in the trunk, just dangling there. One a is round 2 pronged male, and the other is rectangular and is a female slot-type connector (also 2 prongs). Just curious if anyone knows what these are, cause I can't find anywhere to plug them in back there...
The wires to the round one are black, black w/blue stripe. The rectangular one is black w/blue stripe, green w/yellow stripe.

trunk.jpg

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I think the other one may be for the automatic trunk/hatch release found inside the glove compartment. I think it was an option. That plug may have fit inside a mechanism to trigger the release of the trunk clasp.

Do you have a yellow trunk release button in your glovebox? If so, does it work?

PonyBoy90 said:
I think the other one may be for the automatic trunk/hatch release found inside the glove compartment. I think it was an option. That plug may have fit inside a mechanism to trigger the release of the trunk clasp.

Do you have a yellow trunk release button in your glovebox? If so, does it work?
I think you are right. I have one on my coupe but I am just too lazy right now to go rip off that panel and look. :D

PonyBoy90 said:

Yes I do and yes it does, fuel door release works too. What else goes on back there?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a hatch also and when you open my hatch I have one courtesy lightbulb. It provides enough illumination as when my hatch is open I get lighting from that as well as the cabin light.

Could it be because you have a coupe and it's a trunk, the single bulb didn't provide enough lighting so they added a secondary bulb to provide better illumination in the dark??????????????????? Maybe the second connector (square) is different as the bulb and the voltage provided to it was less than the circular one?

PonyBoy90 said:
I have a hatch also and when you open my hatch I have one courtesy lightbulb. It provides enough illumination as when my hatch is open I get lighting from that as well as the cabin light.
Thats what the round plug is for.

PonyBoy90 said:
Could it be because you have a coupe and it's a trunk, the single bulb didn't provide enough lighting so they added a secondary bulb to provide better illumination in the dark??????????????????? Maybe the second connector (square) is different as the bulb and the voltage provided to it was less than the circular one?
No. The factory light for a trunk is mounted on the trunk.

Dang.....now I will have to go and look. :bang:

89sleeper said:
Ok just looked.

The round one I have just hanging as well and the square one is hooked up to the trunk release.

Maybe jrichker will chime in with a diagram.

hmm.. weird that my trunk release works with that connector mid-air. :shrug:

btw nice car!