Mystery D.S.O Code (on a 66)?

Hello I’m new to the group joined 10/18/20.
I’m still navigating / exploring the site. I have a 66 Mustang and looking forward to this site.
I have a Question, a guy over in my area is selling a 66. He has a photo of his vin and I cannot decode the D.S.O it is “27”. Any ideas? I will try to post a photo Thank you in advance! Ross

Attachments

• 121038224_10225682614070761_3196825745652333169_n.jpg
    121038224_10225682614070761_3196825745652333169_n.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Sponsors (?)

https://classicponycars.com/66data.html

6T09A 229734

All of these are giving only partial information on the results. I do not have one of these myself, can I ask this question and it is because I do not know the answer.

Why is the District Sales Office even a factor?

https://classicponycars.com/66data.html

6T09A 229734

All of these are giving only partial information on the results. I do not have one of these myself, can I ask this question and it is because I do not know the answer.

Why is the District Sales Office even a factor?
Hi kiddiccarus, Thanks for the reply, yes I have checked all the decoding sites and books I have.
And can’t find 27.

Why is the District Sales Office even a factor (you ask)? Well I live in the Midwest (rust belt) and altho there are a lot of “survivor” cars around here, there are also a lot of poor quality “survivors”. The last two Cars I bought in this area were sold as California cars and the vin / DSO. confirmed that, indeed they where California cars at one time.

The last car I bought was a project car with 1/16 of primer sprayed all over it, it was nasty looking. The floor boards and rails were all solid. If the car was a DSO from Chicago I would have been looking for hidden rust under undercoating and patch panels ect. Given the choice of a Southern Car vs a Midwestern Car, typically I would go for the Southern Car. Keeping in mind it is very posable a transplanted California car made it’s way up to Chicago in the 70s 80’s 90’s can surely be a rust bucket if it was driven in the winter months.

Yeah in all that I have looked up, none of them show a 27 at all. Clearly on that tag it is in the right location to lead you to believe that it is a DSO Code.

I do understand the "Rust Belt" very well having grown up in Michigan

DSOs can change, even in the middle of the model year.

I'm still getting Cincinatti for DSO27 for 1966 from 1/1/66 through part of ' 68

First half 66 year there is no 27 DSO

Last half of 1966 production, I think the date code 24C puts you in the right spot for this.

From website 'The Care and Feeding of Ponies'

24C is Mar 24 so definitely after Cincinnati DSO was changed from 31 to 27.

Five other DSOs changed sometime between the begining and end of the 1966 model year...

Buffalo: 12 --> 37
Louisville: 36 --> 28
Philadelphia: 23 --> 16
Pittsburgh: 14 --> 38
Washington: 26 -->17

Reactions: 1 user
Hi kiddiccarus, Thanks for the reply, yes I have checked all the decoding sites and books I have.
And can’t find 27.

Why is the District Sales Office even a factor (you ask)? Well I live in the Midwest (rust belt) and altho there are a lot of “survivor” cars around here, there are also a lot of poor quality “survivors”. The last two Cars I bought in this area were sold as California cars and the vin / DSO. confirmed that, indeed they where California cars at one time.

The last car I bought was a project car with 1/16 of primer sprayed all over it, it was nasty looking. The floor boards and rails were all solid. If the car was a DSO from Chicago I would have been looking for hidden rust under undercoating and patch panels ect. Given the choice of a Southern Car vs a Midwestern Car, typically I would go for the Southern Car. Keeping in mind it is very posable a transplanted California car made it’s way up to Chicago in the 70s 80’s 90’s can surely be a rust bucket if it was driven in the winter months.

Regardless of the DSO, you should continue looking for rust...even CA cars are not immune to it...they use salt on some of the roads in the mountains there as well, and as you get to the north of the state it becomes significantly wetter in general. I have come to the conclusion that there is hidden rust in all of them until proven otherwise. Mine is/was a southern car all its life(though I think the DSO is IL if I remember correctly), last on the road in 1977(yes, this car sat for 43 years) and still had plenty of rust I had to cut out and replace.

Hello, i have a 66 gt k code automatic, yes auto, now this is where the fun starts, DSO is 84
Vin 6F07K317223

65B R 68 18D 84 5 6
BODY Color TRIM DATE D.S.O. AXLE TRANS

Anybody have ideas on why the dso 84

ideas on why the dso 84

Quickie on-the-fly answer without research: If I remember correctly; the "Home Office Reserve" DSO (84?) was for company use and "employee leases". For example: Engineering test mules, "World's Fair" display Mustangs, Iaccoca's and Henry Ford II's cars, etc.

Was probable a give away to some sales office for winning there region sales goals.