N/A power adders?

QangMartoq

Feb 27, 2004
Lakeland, FL
Hi,

Short of any sort of forced induction (turbo/supercharger) or nitrous kits, I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on modifications to a 2.3 N/A that improve power, and also, handling.

And also, will chipping companies (such as SuperChips, or others) burn a custom chip for your engine after all the mods are done, so that the computer can take all the modifications into account, and hopefully put out more power? (And also avoid 'Check Engine' lights that aren't true, instead of just taking the bulb out...)

So far, I have the follwing items on my list:

- Complete engine rebuld using strengthened/lightened parts
- Complete trans swap to 5-spd manual or totally redone/improved auto trans
- Battery relocated to trunk
- CAI+K/N air filter upgrade
- MSD ignition system/wires upgrade
- 180F thermostat upgrade
- Alternator upgrade
- Underdrive pulleys
- Suspension upgrade
- Largest possible tires/rims w/o rubbing at lock to lock
- Custom computer chip, taking into account all upgrades

Soon I'll start a new job, and I'll be putting away a nice chunk of change so that when the time comes, I can take out a nice chunk and get it all done in one shot, versus a piece at a time.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Just curious here...and I may just be totally dumb on to why, but what benifit do you get relocating the battery to the trunk?? Like I said, just a stupid question. Gutting your your cats or replace with a HiFlow Cat is Just one Mod that came to mind. I gutted mine and gave a big increase, of course mine was plugged too :p

QangMartoq said:
Hi,

Short of any sort of forced induction (turbo/supercharger) or nitrous kits, I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on modifications to a 2.3 N/A that improve power, and also, handling.

And also, will chipping companies (such as SuperChips, or others) burn a custom chip for your engine after all the mods are done, so that the computer can take all the modifications into account, and hopefully put out more power? (And also avoid 'Check Engine' lights that aren't true, instead of just taking the bulb out...)

So far, I have the follwing items on my list:

- Complete engine rebuld using strengthened/lightened parts
- Complete trans swap to 5-spd manual or totally redone/improved auto trans
- Battery relocated to trunk
- CAI+K/N air filter upgrade
- MSD ignition system/wires upgrade
- 180F thermostat upgrade
- Alternator upgrade
- Underdrive pulleys
- Suspension upgrade
- Largest possible tires/rims w/o rubbing at lock to lock
- Custom computer chip, taking into account all upgrades

Soon I'll start a new job, and I'll be putting away a nice chunk of change so that when the time comes, I can take out a nice chunk and get it all done in one shot, versus a piece at a time.

Thanks!

long post , short answer: dont waste your time

No boost, no nitrous....no go.

Sure, getting nitrious and turbos are nice, but some people simply dont want those kinds of things and just want a little added power to their n/a. That's really all this guy is asking. Your list sounds good so far. However, two of the most restrictive things on these n/a 2.3's are the exhaust and the cylinder head. Therefore, I would recommend going with a new full 2.25" exhaust with a Ranger header of a longtube header from pacesetter, no cats and a high flow muffler. Also, if you want to spend the money you can find another 2.3 cylinder head or just use the one you have and take it to a machine shop and getting it milled, get a port and polish done on it, maybe have a roller cam and followers or an A237 cam put in it. All these mods should boost your total hp to around 130-150. Thats a fairly considerable upgrade from the stock 88hp. Hope some of this helps.

I can see that James and without N20 he will max out at 150 HP not bad, but maybe he thought a swap was out of his money reach.

He can Mill the head also on a N/A app and get more compression. But the flow restrictions are as you said. Get a die grinder, port the exhaust manafold.

kiddiccarus said:
I can see that James and without N20 he will max out at 150 HP not bad, but maybe he thought a swap was out of his money reach.

He can Mill the head also on a N/A app and get more compression. But the flow restrictions are as you said. Get a die grinder, port the exhaust manafold.

I never looked at it like he thought a turbo swap may be out of his reach. Yes, you are right about that. It would probably be about the same cost to do a turbo swap. Plus, it would give you much more power. The only reason I am not doing a turbo swap on mine is because I just finished rebuilding my n/a motor, therefore, I don't really want to swap it out to do a turbo motor. If I had known turbo motors were so easy to come by at the time I was doing my motor I might have thought twice about rebuilding a n/a. However, I am happy with my little 2.3 and I think that with some time and money, it can go pretty good. One of my friends has a 98 cavalier that runs stock at 115hp, and man is it ever faster than my Mustang. Therefore, I think getting my n/a up to 150 would be more than sufficient for me.

JamesBaumann said:
Sure, getting nitrious and turbos are nice, but some people simply dont want those kinds of things and just want a little added power to their n/a. That's really all this guy is asking. Your list sounds good so far. However, two of the most restrictive things on these n/a 2.3's are the exhaust and the cylinder head. Therefore, I would recommend going with a new full 2.25" exhaust with a Ranger header of a longtube header from pacesetter, no cats and a high flow muffler. Also, if you want to spend the money you can find another 2.3 cylinder head or just use the one you have and take it to a machine shop and getting it milled, get a port and polish done on it, maybe have a roller cam and followers or an A237 cam put in it. All these mods should boost your total hp to around 130-150. Thats a fairly considerable upgrade from the stock 88hp. Hope some of this helps.

Crap no N02 or Boost what fun is that ;)

Well if you choose this route I would do like James said. Now there is a few things I will throw in just for my .02 worth ;)

-Full tune up
-Port match the intakes to the gasket ( don't gut them) and clean up any inside casting marks.
-if your car is a 91-93 its got a roller cam in it and useing the A237 is probly better.
-Now if your car is a 91-93 you will need a MSD DIS 2 box which will cost you a bit more than its worth.
-Once you get into that 150+ hp range you can swap in some 19lb injectors/MAF from a GT mustang to help with extra fuel.

Good luck :nice:

A couple other things that I forgot to add to my list of n/a power adders include some 3.73 gears and if you want to get into more spending, you can make some adjustments in the block. You can put in some high compression pistons or something if you like, and they are not actually that more expensive than stock pistons. Umm, you are going to be sacrificing a lot of fuel economy by going into the block, but it could still be well worth it. It all depends on who you are. One more thing, you could have your timing advanced a few degrees to increase high end power. Also look at polishing your intake, I wouldn't do any porting, but polishing will increase airflow.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

While no forced induction and no nitrous does make adding power harder, it can still be done. Maybe someday I'll buy another Fox for cheap and drop in a 2.3T or 5.0, but right now, I want to see what I can do with the current 2.3 N/A that I have.

I am very good with logical stuff, such as computers, and also have had a love of Mustangs for quite some time. Not having gotten my first one until 1-31 of this year sucked, but now I have it. Since my luck didn't get me a 5.0, but instead a much slower Stang, I want to expand my knowledge of how to work on my baby, and find out what I can do to the motor, without changing its basic characteristics. (I still want the fuel economy, if possible.)

While I can change my oil or replace my alternator, a timing belt (for example) is beyond my skills. Yesterday in fact I read up on removing the air silencer, and for the first time in a great while, I took some tools and paid a visit under the hood. While it took me 20 minutes to get the dang silencer out, along the way I also removed the air resonator and saw how restrictive it was. (Not having anything to put in its place, I had to, unfortunately, put it back in.)

Prior to this, I would have never had the guts to go mess with my engine (Had the 200hp Split Port Induction 3.8L V-6 in a '96 Windstar minivan before the Stang, but I owed heavily on it, and always wanted a Mustang)

And now I find that, while it's not so difficult to work on my Stang, having someone around to help me and that I can watch/ask questions of would be helpful. When I'm ready to put these mods into place I"ll post here - Hopefully it will elicit some willing help ;)

I hear ya. Both Dad and my Brother are mechanics and I'm not. However i do believe with all the research I have done since first getting mine in February this year , I think I know more then them. But i would say my Stang is my only car I know as much as I do.

This forum has helped me out. So much that I designed and built my own Cold Air Intake. I'm waiting for the photos to be developed then scanned and I will be posting a tech sticky. It works awesome, Besides better miliage, I have faster throttle response, more power in high end RPMS (good for highway), and now A real cool sound coming from the exhaust. Why not tooo sure why, but I have this awesome low rumble sound just idleing and a cool sound (not ricey as I thought) when I tramp on it.

Now I'm doing finer tuneups, like replacing sensors which either don't work or not that great. I love my stang and its been so fun driving. I'm also working on the exterior, like paint and decals but trying to be clean and not tacky. :D

Alex,

Good luck with your Stang! I wish I had a 90-93 (105hp engines, vs. the 88hp in my '87, plus having the added safety of an airbag would be nice..)

I'll have to do a thorough search to see if I can find a walkthrough for a CAI on my older engine.

I was never that mechanically inclined, but these engines have so much potential, and are so (relatively) simple to work on, that, just as with a computer, I can't help myself!

I was surprised that to take my air silencer off was 1 screw clamp on the intake hose to the air box (for manueverability of the air box), 2 vacuum lines, 4 screws on the air box, two bolts holding it down, plus one bolt holding the silencer down. The fact that all the stuff was easily visible and reachable helped greatly.

On my old 3.8L V-6, though it was fine engine, this sort of ease in working on it was a pipe dream because of the way it was crammed into the engine bay.

QangMartoq said:
Thanks for the ideas, guys.

While I can change my oil or replace my alternator, a timing belt (for example) is beyond my skills.

along the way I also removed the air resonator and saw how restrictive it was. (Not having anything to put in its place, I had to, unfortunately, put it back in.)

When I'm ready to put these mods into place I"ll post here - Hopefully it will elicit some willing help ;)

We all have to start some where and basic stuff like changing oil and tune ups is a good place to start. A timming belt on our cars isn't really that bad except pulling the crank balancer and reinstalling it. Once you understand to align the dots on the cam gear/crank gear and that the balancer only goes on one way then it will become second nature to you :) Now I'm not sure if you need to remove that balancer but it sure helped me the first time I changed a timming belt ;)

As for the air resonator, I did the same thing. I just had to see how small that openning really was and get my nerve up to replace it. I'm machnicaly inclined but I've never worked on a EFI motor before so I was VERY nervous about it. Now look at me I got a 2.3T tore a part working on it and made a CAI for my 93' 2.3L.

If I could offer one bit of advice to anyone wanting to work on a car and that is to read everything you can get you hands on. I started out reading back issues of PHR and HotRod magazine at school about 15 years ago. You can laugh but I thought a crank was some sort of high powered cam shaft for Po street cars :doh: I also have spent tons of hours reading post on forums like Corrent, TurboFord.org, SVOCA, and Stangnet. The internet is awsome I can type in any question and find 5-20 links to an answer. When you get ready just let us know and I'm sure someone here will be here to help out :nice:

P.S. Air bags sux and install a Roller cam out of a 91-93 mustang or Ranger and you will be close to 112 hp ;)

QangMartoq said:
Alex,

Good luck with your Stang! I wish I had a 90-93 (105hp engines, vs. the 88hp in my '87, plus having the added safety of an airbag would be nice..)

I thought they were all 88 BHP up until 91 (code S) then 105 BHP? Mines an EFI engine but still a code A engine where yours would be a 1V, which by the way, can someone tell whats the diff?
:scratch:

Lex said:
I thought they were all 88 BHP up until 91 (code S) then 105 BHP? Mines an EFI engine but still a code A engine where yours would be a 1V, which by the way, can someone tell whats the diff?
:scratch:

I think its when they went to the DP DIS in 91-93 that was 105-112 hp ( I foget exact hp). I also heard its basicaly the Roller cam that makes most of the extra power the DP DIS 2.3Ls had.