N/A power adders?

Yeah Ive enjoyed this thread as well I'll be parking my stang this winter and was thinking of getting a used head and having the head done (ported, unshroud the valves, maybe shave it a bit) and next spring when i get my car back swaping the re-worked head. Plus in the meantime I'm doing the CAI and am looking for a ranger header.

Also thinking about MSD ignition but was wondering how much benefit id see from it.

I want some more power from my car but dont need to get crazy (now that I'm a dad) plus keeping it N/A suits my situation better as i have to do all my work on the car at work. Living in an apartment sux.

• Sponsors (?)

From what I've been told I don't think that putting in an aftermarket 'performance' ignition such as a MSD ignition will be very beneficial to these n/a 2.3L's. There just isn't enough power in these cars to begin with to make a new ignition give you any benefits. It is very expensive to put in ignition parts such as distributors and coils and there is just no performance gain, or atleast very, very minimal. I think that big buck ignitions are more meant for high performance cars, and with these cars it's just not worth it at all. That's my two cents anyway.

JamesBaumann said:
From what I've been told I don't think that putting in an aftermarket 'performance' ignition such as a MSD ignition will be very beneficial to these n/a 2.3L's. There just isn't enough power in these cars to begin with to make a new ignition give you any benefits. It is very expensive to put in ignition parts such as distributors and coils and there is just no performance gain, or atleast very, very minimal. I think that big buck ignitions are more meant for high performance cars, and with these cars it's just not worth it at all. That's my two cents anyway.

I would have to agree but its just my opinion since I haven't read anything on it. This just makes since to me besides that a MSD DIS 2 box for my 93' LX is like 300.00 - 350.00 bux.

Now buying a used head and reworking it really would be a nice deal since you can do it in your spare time and spare cash. This is what I'm really thinking of doing my self to my 93' 2.3L DP. Now if you can't work on your car that much maybe a small N02 set up would do some good ;) Just my .02 cents :D

Im also thinking of maybe down the road sometime putting in a small shot of N20. More of another toy to play with than anything. I dont want to run too much though, or spend too much cash on it. I think some guys on this forum have run about to around 150 shot. I may experiment with a 50 shot or something one day.

lol n2o is cheating, so is high octane fuel. I'm not offended, but i have to point out you picked the wrong motor to make hp out of pure displacement. I ran the bottle n/a, 150hp shot infact...i made a few v8's cry like "babys". Have you ever touched n2o? I have this strange feeling you have alot of F&F n2o exsposure, which is understandable...if you ever do play with n2o, youll soon find its not cheating, its not a trick or a gimick...i guess military aircraft and the "fast" cars at the track are cheaters....lol :rolleyes:

Alex you had better drop me a line when you post that sticky and get the pictures in I am waiting to see what you have done. I have for the most part been waiting for the swap to do anything but the more I have folowed your ideas about the N/A motor I am seeing that I can do a lot of this free on mine and can still use some of it like the gutted cats and the CAI on the 2.3 T later on. Keep testing ideas out for me so i can do them after your successful <--------this is cheating.

[Have you ever touched n2o? I have this strange feeling you have alot of F&F n2o exsposure, which is understandable

No I have never experienced nitrous or even seen F&F for that mater. I've just always felt it was more of an import tuner thing. But yeah a 2.3 is a poor platform for displacement power but I'm not loooking for anything serious more the fun and experience of doing it and to make the car more respectable on the street there is no strip im my future with this car.

kiddiccarus , I'm doing the write up now as I wait for the photos to come back. I want it to be as detailed as possible. All I can say is, the CAI works soooo good, and the rumble I get out of exhaust is amazing (ya as amazing as you can get for a 2.3 :p ) So I will drop you a line once its in the tech sticky :D . By the way my whole setup was done with black PVC piping so it doesn't completely look like a sewer system as well as I put on the K&N sticker that came with the filter :D

Lex, no offence but the growl is from under the hood and not the exhaust. if you have someone in the car and you are outside you can hear it come from the hood area and not the exhaust. I had done something close to your setup on my truck, 2.5L Ranger, and I first thought it was the exhaust too until someone else drove it and I heard it from the front not the back.

*Edit* Also I'm getting ready to go with an A237 cam so if anyone wants my stock cam let me know. We can work something out.

fordrngr said:
Lex, no offence but the growl is from under the hood and not the exhaust. if you have someone in the car and you are outside you can hear it come from the hood area and not the exhaust. I had done something close to your setup on my truck, 2.5L Ranger, and I first thought it was the exhaust too until someone else drove it and I heard it from the front not the back.

No offence taken dude. Your probally right :D . I guess its the way sound travels, it seems like its the exhaust. :nice:

if the other stuff is cheating isn't a roller cam?

Look at these cheat parts on my LX:

turbo

oh, hybrid turbo

to much MSD stuff (6al, coil, retard control, rpm switch)

N20

MAN IT'S FAST!

*oh, and a 6al and Bosch 4's on your n/a 2.3 will give you much better low end torque, faster rev, and better gas mileage. It's true I remember! Just yank out those plug's before you turbo!

140cilx said:
if the other stuff is cheating isn't a roller cam?

Look at these cheat parts on my LX:

turbo

oh, hybrid turbo

to much MSD stuff (6al, coil, retard control, rpm switch)

N20

MAN IT'S FAST!

*oh, and a 6al and Bosch 4's on your n/a 2.3 will give you much better low end torque, faster rev, and better gas mileage. It's true I remember! Just yank out those plug's before you turbo!

Here I was thinking you was legit :nonono: :rlaugh: