n00b chasing a no-start on a 1982 Cougar wagon

a_d_a_m

Nov 3, 2022
Ohio
Hi from a first time Fox owner, long time Ford owner.

I just bought a western 1982 Cougar wagon that's been swapped with an '89GT 302/T5. Fun, clean little car...and most importantly, free of the rust that is associated with buying an Ohio car.

8R1sMwP.jpg

O8TOHrE.jpg

6aB0ZHA.jpg

Anyway, it ran great for about a week, but now it won't start. Cranks and cranks and cranks, but nothing. Since then, I've been working through one of the Fox no-start checklists found here on the forums. I've ruled out a bunch of stuff already (distributor, coil, ignition switch, fuel pump, EEC, Anderson PMS) and can confirm that the car will fire up if I jump the EEC relay. The relay tests good and a new one was installed to confirm that it isn't the problem.

So, I'm guessing now that I've either got a short somewhere, or a fusible link may have failed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, aside from this Cougar, my stable consists of three Panther platform cars: 2003 Marauder, 2010 Crown Vic P7B, 1991 LTD Country Squire

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

can confirm that the car will fire up if I jump the EEC relay. The relay tests good and a new one was installed to confirm that it isn't the problem.

So what triggers the EEC relay to activate?

If you are using the factory wiring, it's triggered off the ignition switch. Wire 16 in the below diagram.

90F99D1F-6D0E-4AF9-886E-089B585BE4D7.jpeg

So what triggers the EEC relay to activate?

If you are using the factory wiring, it's triggered off the ignition switch. Wire 16 in the below diagram.
I will have to circle back and check the ignition switch. With a friend helping, I thought we had sussed that out as not the culprit. Thank you for posting the diagram - definitely something to chew on.

Didn't know Cougar had a wagon.
Can you check for codes?
Oh, and welcome to stangnet.
I'll level with you. I'm not a great wrench...at all. I installed a Painless harness on a '62 C10, I've done a head swap on a modular V8...it all goes real slow. The '80s computerized stuff is real confusing to me. So, while I'm sure there's a way to pull codes, I don't yet know what it is, and I'm not sure there would even be any...sure just seems like something isn't connected the way it should be.

And to the mod that moved my post, thanks I guess...it will get more traction here, though I initially posted it in the Welcome Wagon because I was trying to just say 'hi' and introduce the project. But here works fine, too. :D

If you have bells and whistles when you turn the key on
And still no power out of the EEC relay
It can be either the ignition switch or a fuse link
Interrogate the ignition switch in start and see if it fires up (move the harness around)
See if the ignition switch is coming apart
See if the switch plastic is coming loose from the aluminum body

Reactions: 1 user
Well I feel real damn dumb.

It runs now.

Hadn’t seen that there were TWO relays in the passenger side footwell. The one that failed was hiding from me. Dug it out, replaced it, all good.

Here’s a pic of the old one (if I can figure out how to attach it).

Attachments

• B2C96079-1938-4FA4-8B0E-E2E65A35DAA9.jpeg
    B2C96079-1938-4FA4-8B0E-E2E65A35DAA9.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 1 user
Hi from a first time Fox owner, long time Ford owner.

I just bought a western 1982 Cougar wagon that's been swapped with an '89GT 302/T5. Fun, clean little car...and most importantly, free of the rust that is associated with buying an Ohio car.

8R1sMwP.jpg

O8TOHrE.jpg

6aB0ZHA.jpg

Anyway, it ran great for about a week, but now it won't start. Cranks and cranks and cranks, but nothing. Since then, I've been working through one of the Fox no-start checklists found here on the forums. I've ruled out a bunch of stuff already (distributor, coil, ignition switch, fuel pump, EEC, Anderson PMS) and can confirm that the car will fire up if I jump the EEC relay. The relay tests good and a new one was installed to confirm that it isn't the problem.

So, I'm guessing now that I've either got a short somewhere, or a fusible link may have failed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, aside from this Cougar, my stable consists of three Panther platform cars: 2003 Marauder, 2010 Crown Vic P7B, 1991 LTD Country Squire

If you jump the relay and the vehicle starts up...Which wires are you jumping...Battery input wire to EEC output wire or the trigger wire to EEC output?

Id try checking the EEC relay ground wire for continuity.............

Screenshot 2022-10-25 190227.jpg

Another thing that comes to mind is the ignition switch on the column could be bad or the wire going to the EEC relay trigger....

th (5).jpg

Good Luck