Navigation System

TAP4636

Nov 28, 2004
Chicago
Has anyone thought about getting a Navigation System installed. Some of these things are just so cool, it'd be so neat to have one. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot of room to put one on the 05 Mustang.

Maybe I will get one for our SUV instead. But I really think it'd be nice to have one on my Stang, especially since I drive it all over the place.

• Sponsors (?)

There are also a number of PDAs that have built in or add on GPS antennas/programs that are easy to install and relatively inexpensive when compared to some navigation units. Plus you will end up with an information manager and usually MP3 player as well. If it has a built in GPS receiver you can take and use it no matter where you go.

Options depend on what you are willing to spend but most will offer turn by turn voice directions and a warning when you go off the programmed course.

Install kits are available and some even come with a kit, but look around for something that will definately fit

Nextel offers a navigation service for their cell phones, with maps and turn-by-turn voice directions.
Unfortunately, my wife just signed us up for two more years on Verizon....

Navigation systems are a puzzle to me. Maps are quite effective and cost so little. To pay thousands for these things is a real head scratcher to me, and I consider myself a gadget freak. I guess I could see their benefit for a person who travels a lot. Whatever, to each their own.

Mark

usa1 said:
Navigation systems are a puzzle to me. Maps are quite effective and cost so little. To pay thousands for these things is a real head scratcher to me, and I consider myself a gadget freak. I guess I could see their benefit for a person who travels a lot. Whatever, to each their own.

Mark

<sarcasm>Personally I dont understand why people spend thousands of dollars on cars when they can just walk. </sarcasm>

Once you have used one you will understand why they are handy to have. When I go out of town, they are well worth the $8 a day. I dont have to search on a map, then plan out a route, and - better yet - I don't have to fumble with the map to see if I missed my turn while I am trying to maintain control of a three thousand pound hunk of metal doing 30 to 60 miles per hour.

Contrarian said:
Once you have used one you will understand why they are handy to have. When I go out of town, they are well worth the $8 a day. I dont have to search on a map, then plan out a route, and - better yet - I don't have to fumble with the map to see if I missed my turn while I am trying to maintain control of a three thousand pound hunk of metal doing 30 to 60 miles per hour.

True dat!

A few years ago I had to spend a week in Los Angeles on business. I rented an Explorer with Hertz's navigation system, and believe me, that thing was a godsend. Driving all around LA without it (or with just a map) would have been a nightmare, :bang: but the nav system made it easy as pie. :banana:

Plus, it can do lots of things a map can't. One day I decided that I wanted to have lunch at Fudrucker's. I just punched in "restaurants", and it instantly gave me a list of every eatery within x number of miles, listed by name or distance. Selected Fud's, and it picked out the closest one and gave me turn-by-turn directions right to it.
Nav system definitely on my "must-have" list.

Last year for Christmas I bought my parents, who travel a lot with a motorhome, a Magellan Meridan Color. I did a lot of research and it seemed to be the best at about 400 dollars. It's a portable unit, and the one I bought came with a package that included software to give detailed road maps and turn-by-turn directions. I chose this over an installed unit because I thought it would be nice to take it in whatever vehicle they choose. This proved a great choice because I've borrowed it on my own road trips and my whole family uses it a LOT. Never did I think turn-by-turn directions would be so helpful, but driving through Washington D.C. for the first time, which can be a very confusing city, I went everywhere really easily. It also has thousands of destinations and even businesses preprogrammed, like restaurants and hotels. You can search these by name or area and you'll get the address and phone number of each place, VERY handy for making reservations or just ordering pizza and stuff. The thing also has tons of neat features like elvation and even a speedometer that's more accurate than the one in your car! (This was plenty of entertainment for a new Cobra owner last spring, hehe) My little brothers have even strapped it to their RC cars that they love to modify to get their top speed readings, which it'll save. The unit is really easy to use and really makes trips easy to navigate, especially to places you've never been before. I'd highly reccomend it, and I think you'll enjoy it more as a portable unit especially if you have more than one vehicle. It came with a suction cup bendable arm bracket intended for the windshield, but i bent it for a real nice placement between the console and passenger seat of my stang, and just loved using it. Everyone that I've shown it to is really impressed with it's detail and how realtively simple it is to plot a route and have it give you directions to get there. Not to mention the color really makes things easy to read. If you got other questions, e-mail me, it's the best gift I ever bought for me... err... I mean... my family!

[email protected]

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Magellan-Meridian-COLOR-GPS.asp

-Chris