Need a little 5.0 advice

mopower302

Jun 2, 2011
Okay I know this is my first post but trust me I am not full of questions that have been asked a million times. I just got a 90 fox 302 5 speed runs strong has underdrive pulleys BBK shorties and A9L computer and K&N cone filter The car came with a set of nice BBK longtubes my question is a guy wants to trade an explorer upper and lower for my longtubes so what would be a better gain explorer upper and lower or replace shortys with longtubes and sell shortys for some gas money? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

An Explorer/GT40/Cobra intake is an excellent bolt-on for a stockish engine. You will pick up a solid 15+ horsepower to the rear wheels. Long tube headers on the same engine are overkill. Your shorties are more than adequate for quite a while. Unless you're planning on things like heads and a cam or a blower in the near future, the intake is going to net you much more seat of the pants feel. That said, the headers are worth quite a bit more, dollarwise, than an Explorer intake. I'd see if I could get him to throw a little cash into the deal to sweeten it up.

Long tube headers on a stock engine are a waste of time. Short vs. long dyno test. We did back to back comparisons of a friend's car with no change other than installing a Cobra intake. Peak horsepower was up 17 at the rear wheels, with larger gains through the midrange. If the OP is not planning any other extensive mods in the near future, shorties with the Explorer intake are the way to go.

Well, if you're doing headers, might as well do the LT's. Headers I doubt will do much for a stock headed engine. See if you can put that money towards getting the heads off that explorer as well. :)