Need a little advice with an 88 LX 5.0

cpearce88lx

Sep 26, 2009
I know there is ample info on here for the S.D. to Mass Air swap, but I woudl rather cut to the chase than sift through hours of other postings.....I have an 88 LX 5.0, currently I am running the stock S.D. system but I will be changing to the Mass Air. I have upgraded to 24#ers, and have a 75 mm throttle body ready to put on, the car runs great currently, other than running extremely rich, which it did before the 24 # injectors, the previous owner installed a FRPP B303 cam, along with other upgrades, the extent of which I do not know. Short of tearing the engine down, I won't be able to find out since he has moved to another state. I do know that what I have read, the Mass Air will work wonderfully for my situation as it will allow whatever upgrades to work to their full potential. What I want to know is what size mass air meter will work best for my situation. Also, the car was originally an auto, but the previous owner converted it to a WC T5 car, of course the cruise control will not work now. When I purchased the car, the computer was fried due to faulty wiring hack job by previous owner, I replaced the computer with one for a five speed. Which should I get now, the manual computer or the automatic computer, and will the automatic allow my cruise control to function again? Thanks for the help. I will post what I end up doing with the car.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's going to be a 5spd then you need the 5spd computer. Also it's a good rule of thumb to get a matching MAF, 75mm/80mm. Also c&l makes precalibrated MAF meters for different size injectors.

If it's going to be a 5spd then you need the 5spd computer.

Negative. If it's an AOD to t-5 car, then he needs to run an AOD Mass Air comp, or if he runs a 5-spd comp, he needs to repin the O2 harness to avoid frying it out.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/795604-maf-conversion-aod-t5-swapped-car-a9l-a9p.html

Also, i'd ditch the 24's. I didn't see any mention of heads on the car, so i'll assume they are stock. The 19's are plenty for the power the car is making now.

If you convert to MA, you'll either need to tune the car for 24's or get a meter calibrated for them...which many people are trying to get away from.

As for what Mass Air meter to use, most people sticking with 19's like to get a 94-95 70mm GT meter, and purchase the adapter and use it on their car. You'll need the correct intake hoses of course..and the adapter

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/616246-94-95-maf-install-completed.html

As for the Mass Air Harness, i've used this harness on a few cars..it's cheap and works good.

IST Products

(scroll down a little)

Also, if your car does not have cruise control, you'll need to buy a VSS and a new speedo cable (compatible with cruise) and add it to your car. EDIT. sorry...i just saw you do have CC