Need a little exhaust decision help

bwahl602

Dec 13, 2008
pretty new here, just registered been browsing for two weeks...
ive done some exhaust research here and around the web, but cant seem to find the answer i need.

For now, its jsut a cat back. Later it will be shorty headers and an X/H pipe with cats

looking for something with good quality obviously. But mostly, something not crazy I need something i can cruise down the highway in and still talk on the phone...
Dont get me wrong, i want something deep and aggresive.. My truck ha SLP on it from a 393w... But i bought this for comfort and fun.

Any opinions on the cat back as far as good tone, but something that doesnt crackle and pop

thx

btw im tossed up between magnaflow's SS cat back and the SLP powerflo .. . opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

The regular Magnaflow catback (non-Magnapack) will probaly suite your needs well. It sounds good aswell, however it's a little pricey.

I would reccomend the Mac Flowpath catback. It will be a little louder, but if you are planning on keeping your converters on it won't be overboard in my opinion.

And for what its worth before you make the mistake, don't waste the time or money on shorty headers. If you are going to get headers get longtubes and a matching mid-pipe or none at all. These cars are a HUGE pain in the butt to install headers on, and only longtubes offer worthy gains.

well i wont get into an argument with long tube vs short... but i have considered the longtubes... we shall see...

anyways, ill look into the MAC...but i think thats what a buddy of mine had... it was super raspy... kinda like origional loudmouth SLP... way too loud

dont get me wrong, i plan on doing significant work to the car... i just dont wannago nuts with noise... cat back is cost effective for now so i can order suspension... i literally just picked the cr up and already wannachange it lol...
the cats will stay for legality... but changed for a new performance X/H pipe with high flow cats

thx

I would go Magnaflow SS catback if you are narrowing it down between the two. I like the sound of their non-Magnapack catback really well.

Although the nice thing about the SLP's is that they allow you to change out the mufflers/resonators without hacking the piping up I believe.

Let argue the physics. Say, you have a straight path. Would that not move faster than a curve? So, looking for headers, you want the least amount of curve from the exhaust valve out to the atmosphere.

Now, we start with pipe diameter. The large the pipe, the slower the movement out. Simple... You whistle, you have a little hole. You open your mouth and exhale, your lungs collapse instead of hold pressure = Push the 14.7psi out of the pipe from re-entering.

Cats help keep the heat moving so the 14.7 does not return as fast back into the pipe as if you can fight 14.7 is every stroke. So, emissions are a good thing is a tuning tool but some do not see the physics and how simple it is.

Every pipe/header/mid/cross or whatever combo goes... You have to match that engine is just not some item out of the box and you are all happy with the new noise is a poor running engine, you did not purchase well as per use as in street limits to out and out top end performance... You need to know the basics before buying > Is all I am saying.

I have magnapacks and MRT catted H pipe and love the sound. I had the mac flowpaths before the packs and they where also very good just had more drone then the packs yet the packs are a little louder then the flowpaths. The packs and a catted H have a very smooth sound.

i have a catted bassani x-pipe and magnaflow catback. i absolutly love the sound and on the highway it is a very very sweet tone!!! and as you mentioned you can still talk on the phone and have a converstation to a passenger. go with the magnaflow...you will not regret it. :nice: easy install as well.