need a little help 306 with tfs stage 1 cam

Greggk

Oct 12, 2009
Ludowici GA
i am getting ready to install a 1995 5.0 stang motor in my 1982 bronco. the motor is .030 over (306) with forged internals and a TFS Stage1 camshaft, and mildly reworked stock E7 heads. i bought the motor on the cheap. $400.00. now im trying to figure out what heads on the cheap i can put on that wont break the bank. so IOW less then $1000 for a set of heads... what do y'all suggest (btw i am keeping the motor carb'd with a holley truck avenger 670cfm carb and edelbrock performer intake). i would love to do this whole motor for less then $1400 and get approximately 300-350 crank hp if possible. this heavy truck needs all the power it can get.

• Sponsors (?)

You can find GT40 or GT40P heads for dirt cheap right now due to all the "cash for clunkers" Explorers/Mountaineers. I wouldn't pay any more than $300-$400 for a set of GT40/P heads.

You can also, get a set of Edelbrock E-Street heads brand new and assembled for around $900. Or if you're patient, you might be able to find a set of Edelbrock Performer heads or even some AFR's for pretty cheap if you look in the right places at the right time.

How much are you willing to spend on some heads?

with the intake you have picked out I am going to say 250ish to the wheels.
you might actually do better to sell the TFS1 and get a stock H.O cam to go in there.

96/7's had the regular gt40 heads, everything after that had a P head. got it backwards man.

gt40's are bang for the buck head as you can usually buy a set off an explorer swap the springs and bolt em on for minimal cash. the drawback is that the gt40/gt40p heads are old hat. they were designed in the early 90's and wont flow ported what a good set of aluminum heads will out of the box. the typical gt40 head/intake combo( allowing for a similar flowing carb setup)50 rwhp/tq. If you really want to push what you have go with a set of AFR heads and a custom cam. ditch the TFS1. its a great cam, but it leaves plenty on the table, especially in a truck application.

ok update... gotta get this motor in and fast so it looks like im gonna have to use stock heads for it temporarily as my stock 302 in my bronco locked up this morning. so now my question is, i know it wongt be living to its potential with warmed over E7 heads, but what size carb should i use with this? i have a holley truck avenger 470cfm and a holley truck avenger 670cfm sitting here at my house