Drivetrain Need A Tailshaft Bushing Tool

I need to replace the bushing in the tailshaft of my T-5 as I have a leaky seal and vibrations. I'm not quite skilled enough yet to drop the transmission and take the tailshaft off, and no show near me had the tool. They all just want to do a full rebuild. Does anyone have this tool? I would be willing to pay shipping and throw 30 bucks your way. I don't want to spend 150 on a tool I'll only need once. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have no other knowledge about that than from Paul and the videos I linked. He literally wrote the book on T5 rebuilding. May try a machine shop to see if they can replace the bushing, and check it to make sure it's sized right to your driveshaft yoke.

I had the tool. There were a couple people that used to lend them out. I dug through just about every thread and contacted them. They both had them stolen by borrowers, so that's why there's no lenders around. The good news is you can get a good chunk back selling it.

I had the tool. There were a couple people that used to lend them out. I dug through just about every thread and contacted them. They both had them stolen by borrowers, so that's why there's no lenders around. The good news is you can get a good chunk back selling it.
Sorry to hear about people stealing them, but good to hear that they can resell for a decent price.

According to Paul Cangialosi, the tailshaft bushing is part of the tailshaft housing, and cannot be replaced by itself.

View: https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

View: https://youtu.be/mR8LetFQSoc

I like the ETCG series, but when Paul stated that, that was the first I've ever heard of it. The t5 in my car has a replaced bushing, and the more I think about it the more I don't think it matters. The mainshaft itself has some wiggle room, so it would account for any inaccuracy if the bushing is off. I can't imagine it would be off by much...

I'd still replace one and not lose any sheep over it

I couldn't fix my leaking tailshaft without a bushing. With the tool it's 20 minutes and all was good. I'm not sure what you would be losing sleep over. My concern was that the worn bushing allowed things to move enough that it may have damaged the rest of the transmission, it was definitely not that putting a new bushing in would hurt anything. It's gotta be a thousand times better for the trans than continuing driving on the worn one. And ... it's definitely better than running a trans with low fluid.
BTW, I did also need to replace the driveshaft yoke as it was scored from the bad bushing.

It was my impression that when he said that on ETCG, he meant that the tail shaft and bushing are honed together to ensure perfect alignment and that the bushing was non-serviceable alone. I didn't think that this meant it couldn't be replaced, I just thought it meant you weren't technically supposed to.

Unfortunately for many of us we don't have much of a choice because they go bad. I replaced mine along with a new yolk to try and fix a vibration (to no avail).
Photo%20Nov%2017%209%2003%2054%20PM_1.jpg
Photo%20Nov%2017%209%2006%2020%20PM.jpg
Photo%20Nov%2017%209%2011%2019%20PM_1.jpg
Photo%20Nov%2017%208%2056%2059%20PM.jpg

I still do have the tool though and boy is it nice; with the trans out I actually thought it was enjoyable to use. I would be willing to loan it out but not without the full price of the tool paid in advance, and then I would mail it to you, upon return of tool all money would be returned. Personally I wouldn't give a random joe money for a tool on a forum unless I had it in my hand; but thought I'd offer.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
It was my impression that when he said that on ETCG, he meant that the tail shaft and bushing are honed together to ensure perfect alignment and that the bushing was non-serviceable alone. I didn't think that this meant it couldn't be replaced, I just thought it meant you weren't technically supposed to.

Unfortunately for many of us we don't have much of a choice because they go bad. I replaced mine along with a new yolk to try and fix a vibration (to no avail).
Photo%20Nov%2017%209%2003%2054%20PM_1.jpg
Photo%20Nov%2017%209%2006%2020%20PM.jpg
Photo%20Nov%2017%209%2011%2019%20PM_1.jpg
Photo%20Nov%2017%208%2056%2059%20PM.jpg

I still do have the tool though and boy is it nice; with the trans out I actually thought it was enjoyable to use. I would be willing to loan it out but not without the full price of the tool paid in advance, and then I would mail it to you, upon return of tool all money would be returned. Personally I wouldn't give a random joe money for a tool on a forum unless I had it in my hand; but thought I'd offer.

Hey,

I was wondering if you still have the tool for rent?