need a tune badly could anyone help?

9eightGTEE

Jul 19, 2004
So my car was tuned at laroccas when the previous owner had it. The car has a chip (not installed) burned for 94 octane... they dont sell that anymore. The car has a rough surge from time to time, a couple hundred rpms. Sometimes not often, it will just idle at around 1500 rpms and i will have to shut the car off and turn her back on to get her to idle back to normal. Now i dont know if thats a seperate problem from the tune or not. Now the most recent issue started in April I noticed a loss in power and the car runs like absolute dog s h it. Its almost as if it was a carb car and it was backed up or something. Its hard to explain but sometimes it sounds like its backfires and like it needs to be opened up and blow all the s hi t out of the engine, but i get on it all the time and it still sounds choked up. Could it be the new ethenol BS gas? I dont know what to do I cant afford another $600 tune could anyone locally help me?

• Sponsors (?)

have you had a sensor check? Mine coupe a few years back had a funny idle & would lag in performance intermittanly with no reason... Found it to be the O2 sensors going bad.

May be worth a free check at Autozone, if you don't have a tester...:nice:

Who took the chip out of the car????

That chip was tuned for the current car with its current combination and it was removed just because 94 octane gas can not be had?

It was removed becuuse of a 1 point difference in octane?

If so, that's freaking nuts!

If that chip was tuned for the current car and current combo, I can pretty much guarantee that the tune is one hell of allot closer WITH the chip than WITHOUT it. Particularly if you're running an aftermarket meter of some sort or injectors that are significantly larger than stock.

In other words: Put the damned chip back in! One octane more or less on gas will not have NEAR the effect of going from a tuned chip back to the stock EEC program.

*incredulous rant over*

It will not cost you $600 to get a new tune. You already own the chip and don't need to buy it again. All you'll need to pay for is the dyno time and tune. Should run you around $100.

Laroccas is not a 'fly-by-night' company. They have a reputation for some good work and if tuning for the street, they tend to do it conservatively. You can call them and double check what I've said about pulling the chip vs. one octane point in gas. You can also ask them what it would cost to re-tune and re-burn your chip.

Good luck! :nice:

Daggar said:
Who took the chip out of the car????

That chip was tuned for the current car with its current combination and it was removed just because 94 octane gas can not be had?

It was removed becuuse of a 1 point difference in octane?

If so, that's freaking nuts!

If that chip was tuned for the current car and current combo, I can pretty much guarantee that the tune is one hell of allot closer WITH the chip than WITHOUT it. Particularly if you're running an aftermarket meter of some sort or injectors that are significantly larger than stock.

In other words: Put the damned chip back in! One octane more or less on gas will not have NEAR the effect of going from a tuned chip back to the stock EEC program.

*incredulous rant over*

It will not cost you $600 to get a new tune. You already own the chip and don't need to buy it again. All you'll need to pay for is the dyno time and tune. Should run you around $100.

Laroccas is not a 'fly-by-night' company. They have a reputation for some good work and if tuning for the street, they tend to do it conservatively. You can call them and double check what I've said about pulling the chip vs. one octane point in gas. You can also ask them what it would cost to re-tune and re-burn your chip.

Good luck! :nice:

Thanks for the tunning info, but when i bought the car the chip was already out.. even tho 94 was still being sold. I guess one day i should just go down and talk to them and see what the deal is.

9eightGTEE said:
Thanks for the tunning info, but when i bought the car the chip was already out.. even tho 94 was still being sold. I guess one day i should just go down and talk to them and see what the deal is.

I would agree with Daggar - If you have the chip try putting it back in. It is not clear if you have the chip in your possession though.

I would think that the idle issues can be resolved by going through the Surging Idle Checklist Sticky, listed at the top of this forum.

jason