Need advice on rear window vinyl

O.D. Showtime

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
I had my Cobra's windows tinted and the tinter didn't properly do my back window. Where the defroster material is toward the roofline, the tint didn't stick properly and now it looks like there is Elmer's glue in-between the glass and the tint. I've seen a Grand Am that had the same problem and the owner had a black piece of vinyl going across the width of the rear window to cover up the mess (the vinyl was placed on the outside of the window). Anyone know where to get these pieces of vinyl? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

O.D. Showtime said:
I had my Cobra's windows tinted and the tinter didn't properly do my back window. Where the defroster material is toward the roofline, the tint didn't stick properly and now it looks like there is Elmer's glue in-between the glass and the tint. I've seen a Grand Am that had the same problem and the owner had a black piece of vinyl going across the width of the rear window to cover up the mess (the vinyl was placed on the outside of the window). Anyone know where to get these pieces of vinyl? Thanks.

This *should* be a well known problem to any tint installer worth a ****. Id take it back and demand compensation or a professional fix. Thats just pathetic...

My tint guy was able to cover all those silk screened dots and stuff on the back window and was even able to put a 5 inch strip across the top of my windshield over the running pony with no problems. Been on there almost 4 years now in the Alabama sun and still looks great. I think is has to do more with who's doing the tinting and the materials they use then anything else...

U.M

also i might add, someplaces use the tint in a can, they can just spray it on to fill in the mesh.
i personaly tinted the windows in my 88 gt and they came out perfect, (after trying 3 times) except for the mesh.

Gripstang said:
This *should* be a well known problem to any tint installer worth a ****. Id take it back and demand compensation or a professional fix. Thats just pathetic...

I agree with you in the sense that I should go back to the tinter, especially since there is a lifetime warranty on the tint. However, he is located near NYC and I don't feel like driving out there. Plus, last time my car sat overnight up that way over $3,000 worth of aftermarket audio aquipment was stolen from my car and the driver side door was fubar'd by the thieves. It's also important to note that I went with this tinter b/c he did my brother's GTI and it came out perfect, so I trusted his work. I guess he was in a rush or something the day he worked on my car.

Uncle Meat said:
My tint guy was able to cover all those silk screened dots and stuff on the back window and was even able to put a 5 inch strip across the top of my windshield over the running pony with no problems. Been on there almost 4 years now in the Alabama sun and still looks great. I think is has to do more with who's doing the tinting and the materials they use then anything else...

U.M

Hey U.M!
Who did your tint?