Need advice on tracking down my old fastback

JH96GT

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Twilight Zone, TN.
I had to sell it when times got tough around 7 years ago. I've been trying to track it down again - but all of the buyer contact info is no longer valid. I've tried carfax, but it won't read the vin.

Can you guys give me some advice? Thanks. I really want to find it and try to pick it up again. She was a beaut.....

VIN # 5F09A302431

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a friend with the motor vehicle department (vehicle registration)?

I know that in Texas, they can search VIN numbers to check ownership or verify if a car was stolen (even on 1981 and prior years).

The search would probably need to include several adjoining states. If the car was registered by the current owner or even had the title transferred within recent years, the VIN should show up in the registration database.

That failing, you could publish the VIN in a collector car site or even the newspaper asking for information about it.

What state are you in?

What state do you think the car is in?

I did some research on the past 2 Mustangs I purchased and I was able to contact Motor Vehicle is 3 different states, fill out some paper work regarding the Car and it's vin number and I did get back some useful info. I believe they called it a Vehicle History Report.

Good luck, it will take some time.

Let us know what you find out.

TTT. Good advice on the VIN, good thing you held onto it.

Any other methods besides VIN? I'd love to find my Dad's '71 Camaro SS/RS he bought new and traded in '79. No idea what the VIN was. Thinking about going to the dealer and seeing if by any slim chance they still have sales records from '71?

Well, I've got good news and bad news. I found the guy who bought it. I happened to contact on old coworker who had his home and cell number. Seems he has been in Canada working for the last two years and was home on vacation. I talked w/ him and caught up some. He stated he still had the car, it is under a cover in his garage - but won't sell it to me. Too sentimental now he says (I understand). Left my contact info and was told I still had first dibbs if it ever had to be sold........

Oh well......