Need advice/thoughts on 68 coupe roof repair

Looking for any advice or thoughts on how to tackle this rusty roof and panel problem I have.

Inside of my 68 coupe the roof, frame, bracing and interior sail panels are pretty rusted not rusted through just heavily rusted.
I was going to get in there and start the rust removal process to see the extent of the damage that is going to be left behind.
Out of curiosity I used rust-o-oleum Rust gel dissolver and in the second picture of the inner sail panel frame it did remove some rust leaving some decent metal but there appears to be some pitting action going on as well.

So my plan was to just go ahead and replace the rood ( a pillars are being replaced as well as there's rust through in two spots ) along with the replacing the bracing and while that's off to go ahead and sand/remove rust from the inside of the sail panels to see where that gets me.

Or I'm really just thinking about finding a complete roof and c pillar ( sail panel ) section including the a pillars from a donor car. So far the lowest priced unit I was able to find the guy was wanting 795.00 which is 395.00 more than I paid for the car so that's a hard NO!
That being said, anyone know of a good roof section including the sail panels and a pillars for sale? I'm thinking if I can find a relative clean section that would be the easiest solution. I'm in Fort Worth Texas and if the price is right I don't mind a mini road trip pending distance.

I know most people would say a 68 coupe is not worth the effort but it's something to do with my 3 boys and they have been excited about this car since it appeared in my driveway so it's worth it to me.

Attachments

• 20190822_123901.jpg
    20190822_123901.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 20190822_123757.jpg
    20190822_123757.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 20190822_123826.jpg
    20190822_123826.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20190822_123856.jpg
    20190822_123856.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 238
  • 20190822_123901.jpg
    20190822_123901.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Sponsors (?)

Hows the outside of c pillar ?

Inside looks like a sandblasting and rust bullet followed by epoxy primer and good to go.

other options would be a retractable ford top kit from mustangs plus (ugly trunk lid though)
or a roadster kit (no more roof)

Outside of the C Pillars look good. There's a small rust through spot where it meets the quarter panel that can easily be patched.
The roof on the other hand has spots where I can feel that it's weak in the rust areas on the inside and outside so that's getting replaced.
It's odd how this car got so rusty on the inside of the roof and pillars yet the frame rails, trunk area, quarter panels and cowl area are rust free...go figure. I figure moisture built up and just sat there over time. Also amazing the rear frame rails, fender aprons and 1 torque box is unscathed and rust free.

I did find on ebay some one is selling one c pillar cut out with the inner frame area rust free and primed for 90 bucks. I might just snag that up If I can find one more so I don't have to go through the sandblasting, sanding and what not. We'll see.

Honestly I wanted to do a station wagon conversion by using a ford falcon wagon as a donor but my wife quickly said no or she gets her own mustang haha.
I'm close to wagoning the thing out and pulling our pop up behind it.

Sandblaster I have I just need to get a new compressor today so I'll try that and see where that goes.
I'll post pictures of the progress I've done restorations but nothing with this magnitude of rust.

Attachments

• Mustang Wagon.png
    Mustang Wagon.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 228
You could truck freight it easily enough(but it would cost about $300 since it would take up at least 2 pallets of space), but honestly, the rust(that you can see) seems like sandblasting and epoxy primer will take care of it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still looking for a 68 coupe roof. I'd be willing to pay you for shipment plus selling price. Let me know. Thanks!
I am not sure how you would ship it ,it would cost a fortune
Yep, not cheap, but even if it costs $300 or a bit more, it's better than scrapping the entire project. I also have a father-in-law who's retired and doesn't mind a long road trip but I have no idea where you are. Can you give me a rough idea? Thanks!

Yep, not cheap, but even if it costs $300 or a bit more, it's better than scrapping the entire project. I also have a father-in-law who's retired and doesn't mind a long road trip but I have no idea where you are. Can you give me a rough idea? Thanks!
I can provide a pic of my roof (actually, it's my son's project car) if you want to see how much it would help.

If your not going to get Horse Sence to make a fastback out of it.

Forget that rusty roof and again,
Maybe make a roadster or retractable with the mustang plus kits
just saying

3008044589_93df676186.jpg
ronsterad01.jpg

Honestly I wanted to do a station wagon conversion by using a ford falcon wagon as a donor

And even further out there is the Gremlin roof stain wagon

Mustang Wagon 2.jpg

If your not going to get Horse Sence to make a fastback out of it.

Forget that rusty roof and again,
Maybe make a roadster or retractable with the mustang plus kits
just saying

3008044589_93df676186.jpg
ronsterad01.jpg

And even further out there is the Gremlin roof stain wagon

Mustang Wagon 2.jpg
I like the retractable. My son won't go for it. Thanks for all the ideas though.

Reactions: 1 user