Need Advice Tips And Help 96 Mustang Gt

DSMwindzor

Apr 21, 2013
blacksburg,sc
Traded my 1993 eagle talon tsi for a 1996 mustang gt cobra clone. This thing is a damn torque monster(I'll explain why in a minute). I'm not a 4.6 guy I live and die by the 5.0. And I had a 1997 4.6 in high school (locked the motor up). The only things I know about this car so far are

Good Mods:
-2.25 exhaust
-no cats
-idk what kind of exhaust manifolds are on it
-nice 2 tone paint job
-$800 rims and tires with the stickers still on them
-and this through me for a loop: the heads on the car are from a lincoln navigator (5.4L) does that make any sense to you guys? It would explain all the extra power I'm feeling? The heads are definitely not stock though

BAD:
-cars volts are wayyyyyyy to high its running at like 16.8?
-the wiring everywhere is in this car is chopped up
-no hood
-smashed windshield(hood flew open at 45mph and hit windsheild which is why I got such a good deal on it)
-interior is rough
-tint is wayyyyy to dark I'm gonna have to strip it off
-radiator leaks

So my questions are:
- what's the best safest route to take this windshield situation? Junkyard or order a new one? Is this an DYI for the average joe
- what would cause the car to run such a high voltage? Seems like a fire waiting to happen
- and is it possible to put 5.4 heads on a 4.6 motor? This car has so much kick too compared to my old 1 owner 4.6

(The eagle talon I bought for $1000 and traded for this deal was bought as a parts car and had $2000 worth of mods. I got all the parts off it I wanted for my other eagle talon and replaced it with stock parts then come to find out the talon actually ran. And ran pretty damn good. So I've already got my moneys worth out of that car then some guy comes along and trades me this car, For it. I think I done pretty good now I have a real cobra and a clone)

Attachments

• 2013-04-27_17-44-11_984.jpg
    2013-04-27_17-44-11_984.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 582
  • Sponsors (?)

Can you take a picture of the top end of the motor? So heads, intake, ect. If you say it has 5.4 heads, I am thinking 4v, but then you wouldn't have an intake to match. Anyway, we could help identify what you really have in the top end of that motor.

The car looks nice, it seems to be pretty straight and clean. I am sure you'll find a lot of similar opinions, but I am not a fan of the cobra badges. If you are going to keep them, make sure you have every detail correct... so get a cobra hood, front facia, ground effects, and rear bumper, ect.

I haven't replaced a windshield, but I think it is an awful job to do at home. At the glass/body shop, they will have a mount with suction cups which they can use to swing the glass around. Getting the moldings and seal correct (I have heard) is tricky and often best left to a professional. I suppose you could supply them with a j-yard windshield, but if they are installing, they may not agree with it (plus may not provide a warranty).

On the alternator, are you using the factory dummy gauge or an actual volt meter? I would verify the voltage at various places using a voltmeter before jumping to any conclusions. Check the battery voltage, check the voltage at the alternator, make sure everything is grounded well. Lastly, I would replace the alternator. Most parts stores can test alternators as well.

You are definitely going to want to stop running the engine with an alternator producing voltages of that scale. You are going quite possibly a short-n-curly away from cooking the electronics including the radio, cluster, PCM and myriad other modules around the car.

Replacement regulators are available and are not super-tricky to replace but you might just want to replace the whole alternator.

Def do as bhuff30 says and us a meter to check the voltage at the battery when the car is running. I do believe that the PCM will pick up on an over volt condition. The code is something like P0563 or something like that.

Other than that the car looks like a good start for a project. Should be fun.