Need advice

Dubya Dubya

May 30, 2019
Waterloo
2010 V6 stock Pony, looking to do minor mods but do not know where to start. I have had a number of options from do nothing to all out breaking the bank. One said whenever you do one mod such as dual exhaust it affects another. Looking for assistance on where to begin.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Well what do you want out of the car? Are you looking for performance mods, to just change the sound, do you want it to handle better?

If your looking at the exhaust and you want to go to a true dual exhaust, there are lots of kits. Make sure the new exhaust has cats, mufflers and ports for the correct sensors. If all that is there it shouldn’t affect the way the computer runs the motor much. The farther from stock you go the more the computer tries to compensate. For instance if you went to a dual exhaust with no cats, mufflers or sensors, you would need the dummy plugs for the sensor wires. Those would tell the computer that everything is normal and not to throw codes. Then you would want to have the ecu tuned to compensate for the dramatic airflow changes. Before you do any tuning make sure you’ve performed any other performance mods you plan to do, like CAI, cams, turbo etc. that should all be accounted for before tuning is done.

For other more serious performance mods, the biggest bang for your buck will be a turbo or centrifugal supercharger kit. Cold air intakes (CAI) are a few hundred dollars for a few horse power and come with questionable air filters. When it comes to performance air filters just remember that the more freely it breaths the more crud it lets through. You could also order custom cams to change valve timing and prioritize more power over mpg. But that will get pricey. Not that a turbo kit isn’t. You could also get away from the tall rear diff gearing and go with 3.70 rear end gears. Will dramatically change your acceleration and driving experience. Changing the rear end gearing will require you to have your speedo recalibrated. If all you want is a more aggressive sound then buy a different muffler. That won’t mess with any thing else by it self

The big crazy power upgrade is to buy a crate motor. I’ve had both a 2013 v6 and now a 2017 gt. Dropping the 2011+ 3.7L v6 in will add 100 HP and get you better fuel economy (like 30mpg highway) but your going to need all the electronics that make it work, wiring harness and ecu etc. It’s a great motor but it would be simpler to buy a newer car.

If you want to get better handling, A strut tower brace, lowering springs, stiffer shocks and struts, k member brace and rear anti sway bars will set you up. You will need an alignment after messing with the suspension. Also understand that the stiffer your suspension setup gets the less compliant and soft the ride. Don’t go overboard or you will hate driving it on the street. Also try to find a single brand to buy all the components from.

Also please for the love of god if you make the car faster, invest in better brakes. It’s not the speed that will kill you, but the sudden unplanned stop. Again though big break kits are expensive and require bigger wheels.

Hope all this helps a bit.

Well what do you want out of the car? Are you looking for performance mods, to just change the sound, do you want it to handle better?

If your looking at the exhaust and you want to go to a true dual exhaust, there are lots of kits. Make sure the new exhaust has cats, mufflers and ports for the correct sensors. If all that is there it shouldn’t affect the way the computer runs the motor much. The farther from stock you go the more the computer tries to compensate. For instance if you went to a dual exhaust with no cats, mufflers or sensors, you would need the dummy plugs for the sensor wires. Those would tell the computer that everything is normal and not to throw codes. Then you would want to have the ecu tuned to compensate for the dramatic airflow changes. Before you do any tuning make sure you’ve performed any other performance mods you plan to do, like CAI, cams, turbo etc. that should all be accounted for before tuning is done.

For other more serious performance mods, the biggest bang for your buck will be a turbo or centrifugal supercharger kit. Cold air intakes (CAI) are a few hundred dollars for a few horse power and come with questionable air filters. When it comes to performance air filters just remember that the more freely it breaths the more crud it lets through. You could also order custom cams to change valve timing and prioritize more power over mpg. But that will get pricey. Not that a turbo kit isn’t. You could also get away from the tall rear diff gearing and go with 3.70 rear end gears. Will dramatically change your acceleration and driving experience. Changing the rear end gearing will require you to have your speedo recalibrated. If all you want is a more aggressive sound then buy a different muffler. That won’t mess with any thing else by it self

Hey thank you both for your time to reply! Geez I am so novice at this I feel overwhelmed but I do understand what it is your talking about.
My first thought was to cut my pipes behind the cats and extend / piece duals from there......
What are your thoughts?
Also, the stock headers design look quite smooth would new short headers do much?
CAI brands, any advice on middle of the road pricing?
And just one more note, you mentioned gearing. Just to up my game a tad what would you recommend, I am not into racing it.
Thanks to all who are helping me out with my first Mustang!!

I have a low mileage 2014 3.7 V6 (61K on it) and is BAMA tuned with the AirRaid CAI. The engine is complete with everything and I also have the intake and the ECM for it. I would cut you a great deal on the AirRaid CAI if you're interested. I also have a set of 3:55 gears with a complete installation kit I would cut a deal on too.

Dual exhaust will flow better, assuming its a true dual exhaust. What I mean by that is that the exhaust should go from headers to cats to an H or X pipe (crossover between banks) and then back to two mufflers. Changing out headers will add power and improve flow but you will need to tune the ecu to see real improvement from them. Otherwise the engine will still be running as if the stock headers were on. A complete exhaust change, from headers to true dual exhaust will definitely add power, but don't expect crazy gains. Now it will look good and sound nice.

I wouldn't be the person to ask about CAI, I personally think they are a waste of money. A bigger throttle body would be more useful in my opinion for improving air flow on the intake end.

As for rear end gearing, 3.55 would be a good mild gearing change, 3.70 would be a pretty big change but is still a good middle ground. If you want all the power off the line go for 4.10. With each step up you will gain acceleration and lose some top speed. Think of 3.55 as street gearing, 3.70 as street and strip and 4.10 as drag strip. Also when you change the rear end gearing it will change when you shift, and require a recalibration of the speedometer.

Another thing to consider is staggered wheels for a more aggressive look.

Last point, being a novice isn't a problem. Especially when you are asking questions.