Need advise quickly!

mrmhrm9598

Apr 2, 2010
I just bought a 1997 GT. I am not familiar with the 2v 4.6 engines. I am looking to sepnd about $350 on a few parts. I already have 4.10 gears and flowmasters and am planning on doing a head swap in a few weeks. So the big question I have is what should I spend the cash on? UPR sells a +40 hp kit. It contains a cold air kit, ford racing throttle body (doesn't say what size) upper plenum and an intake spacer kit. It sells for $249.99. I have also looked at the sct tuners. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I am hoping to order everything tonight.
Thanks
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

So are you saying you have $350 to spend after gears and headswap?

If so, I say put it towards exhaust, if you can get by emissions.

Don't waste money on a CAI; just get a K&N drop in filter and take off the air silencer. Same gains.

Only other options in that price range is underdrive pulleys or throttle body/plenum, either of which will get you about the same amount of hp (10ish). Don't spend money on expensive TBs either; I got a Stack Racing 75 mm TB from AM for $110 shipped, and it works flawlessly.

Edit: Oh, and is the car auto or 5-speed?

The car is a 5 speed and the $350 is after gears and heads. I have flowmasters mufflers on the car but stock headers. I can't find any headers that I can afford because labor is so expensive to have them installed. What throttle body do you recommend?

I can get the following package from UPR for $169.99.

* Throttle Body, Plenum and Spacer Package
* 30-45 Minute Install
* Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body part # M-9926-D462
* Shark Upper Intake Plenum includes hardware and improves airflow
* Internal air interrupter has yielded as much as 45-50 CFM over other plenums
* 1/2" Thick intake/plenum spacer w/nitrous ports
* Gains of up to 28 HP have been seen with this package

Do you pick up any hp with a tuner also what happens if I don't use a tuner after I install the gears?
your spedometer will be off, anywhere from 10 to 20 mph. i put 3:73's in and was off 15mph. there are gains to be seen with a tune. and you can get different set-ups. 87 octane, up to 93, and keep the factory settings in it. can have it updated from the company you purchased it from as well when you add more bolt ons.

A tuner is not "needed" and you cannot change the gear ratios on the 96-98 cars with a tuner; you can only do that with a speed calibration gear, or something like that; can't remember the exact name. Edit: found it here: http://www.americanmuscle.com/speed-calibrator-94-04.html. A mail order tune (which is what you'll get if you get a programmer from AM, which I would recommend because they do free tunes for life from Bama Custom tuning, which is a great deal) will probably net you 15ish horsepower and allow you to raise the rev limiter, which is necessary to rev the motor to its fullest potential with the PI stuff. Also, I'd be weary of a used tuner considering that you have a relatively decent amount of modifications to tune for. In other words, the tune that comes on a programmer for most cars will not best suit your car and the mods you have done on it. Unless you find a tuner that was used on a car very similar to yours with similar mods, I would get a new one. Once again, the AM SCT tuners are very tempting, considering that you would tell them all of your modifications, and then they (Bama Custom Tuning) would build a tune specifically for your car. The only thing better than this would be a dyno tune, of which you'd have to have the programmer anyway.

Do you have an offroad mid-pipe? I understand about not wanting/being able to do headers on account of cost and time, but an offroad mid-pipe is relatively cheap ($150ish brand new), very easy to install (3 hours with basic tools and never doing it before), and will net you a solid 15 hp and a nice sound.

That's not a bad deal for that package, although I don't know just how much hp you'll get from it. I can tell you that you won't get 28 hp like they advertise; maybe 15 at absolute best, and that's doubtful. But it will give you a better throttle response and room to improve other things in the future. I'm not real terribly sure about that plenum either; that doesn't mean it is bad or anything, just that I've never heard of it. Maybe some other members will chime in with some insight on this package deal.

If you are going to get both a tuner and this other stuff at some point anyway, I'd get the other stuff first. It's easier to install that other stuff while you are working on and have the motor torn apart than it is to reassemble the top end of the motor with the stock stuff, only to have to take it back off to put on this new stuff. The programmer would only take 5 minutes tops to put the tune on. Simply because of time and hassle saved, I say get the other stuff first.

Oh yea, you asked for a throttle body preference. Because I am unsure of that particular upper intake plenum, I would consider this Stack Racing Polished 75mm Throttle Body (96-04 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! and this C&L Upper Intake Plenum (96-04 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!. Or, with just this BBK 78mm Mustang Throttle Intake (96-04 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!. Both are about the same price ($270). But, if someone else here can chime in on that plenum in that package deal, it may be perfectly fine to use and you could save some money.

What tuner? Definitely SCT, especially if you buy new from AM.

Also, if you purchase from AM, be sure to PM the Stangnet sponsor (can't remember the name, is something like AMEmily or something like that, you can find it in the American Muscle sub-forum on here) and ask her for the forum discount code. IIRC, it's like 6 or 7%, which is quite a bit if you order some of that stuff from them.

I just crawled under under my car and checked to see if it had an H-pipe. Coming out from under the I split my skull and had blood pouring down my forehead. Had a buddy look at it said it is about 1" long and 1/4" deep. Hurts like hell. So here is what I discovered. I have an off road H-pipe (no cats) and Flowmaster mufflers. It does still have the factory exhaust manifolds. They actually look cast but I thought the gt's had a factory header. So now what would you recommend?