Need an opinion please----> Front/Rear Axle

drilzzz

Mar 22, 2010
Hey everybody! I know I know I haven't been on here for a while but school and work have consumed my life but I'm back to make some upgrades on the Stang. And as always thank you for taking a look at this thread.

I have a 1997 Mustang GT basically stock all around. I was told by a mechanic that I need new rear axle shafts and bearings. Also, they told me that the work would include some exploratory surgery (not what you want to hear from a mechanic lol) in order to see what else needs to be replaced while the job is being done. I was quoted $800 for this job.I have had the car for 6 years without doing any rear end work/replacement except for fluid change. I have also found a complete rear differential on Craigslist for $1200. The assembly is stamped M4006-B373. The seller had it built at Steeda and has receipts to prove it. The assembly is 8.8 with 3:73 gear ratio purchased new from Ford Parts and upgraded at Steeda with Auburn locking differential 28 spline and Yukon axles. When I looked at the set up I shook the end of the axle shafts to see how much play there was. There was a little play when moving the shafts. Is it acceptable to have a bit of play or are the axle shaft not suppose to move at all? Also, does this deal sounds like a winner or would it be wiser to have my rear diff built?:shrug: Purchasing and installing the assembly would run me about $1500. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

• Sponsors (?)