Need Aod Trans Help, Not Shifting Into 3rd Gear

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I was driving home 2 weeks ago and floored it to pass a semi, when it hit 3rd gear the trans did nothing like it went into neutral, I was able to get it home driving in 1st and 2nd, I had to shift up to D then back to 1 to get it into 2nd. So I assumed something in the trans was shot and had it rebuilt, got it back and installed it on Friday and still wouldn't shift into 3rd gear, wouldn't shift out of 1st unless I put it back in 1 so yesterday I swapped in another valve body, then it shifted in D but not into 3rd gear so today I changed the torque convertor just trying to eliminate that as the problem and still no 3rd gear. I have a new gauge and the TV pressure is set properly. Any ideas what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

Check the obvious, fluid level. If that's ok i would check the shift lever on the trans itself.
I'm guessing you had it rebuilt by someone reputable? I would verify you can shift through all gears on the trans itself.

This happened before to me but it was a broken input shaft which I'm sure isn't your problem.

Does it have OD? When you are in 2nd and take your foot off the gas or shift from 2 to 1, does it engine brake?

My guess is either
  • Your 3/4 clutches and/or bands are toast
  • Your 3/4 lockup shaft is broke or stripped splines out of the drum
Either way I think the trans is coming out.