Need assistance with aftermarket radio

PFA

Jun 25, 2001
Michigan
First post.....need help
My daughter has an 86 GT that I bought her some years ago. Her X-boyfriend decided to put in a new radio with CD. He had no idea what he was doing. Now that the car is at my place, I am going to help her out, if I can. From what I know, he cut the orig. wiring plugs off and tried to splice some wires together. Also replace the small speakers in the dash. This GT had the prem. radio. Has the amp in the center of dash. Can someone please help me with the wiring of the radio, colors to what, and the speakers and amp?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

1986 Ford Mustang Stereo Wiring
Constant 12V+ Light Green/Gray
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground n/a
Illumination Blue/Brown
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 3 1/2" Dash
Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Black/White
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Black/White
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Quarter Panel
Left Rear (+) Pink/Red
Left Rear (-) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (+) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-) Green/Red

You should bypass that amp...

Thank you very much. I will give this a try.

1986 Ford Mustang Stereo Wiring
Constant 12V+ Light Green/Gray
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground n/a
Illumination Blue/Brown
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 3 1/2" Dash
Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Black/White
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Black/White
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Quarter Panel
Left Rear (+) Pink/Red
Left Rear (-) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (+) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-) Green/Red

You should bypass that amp...

you know what... I checked some other wiring diagrams for ford vehicles and they are all the same. It is hard to say without seeing the wires in front of me.
As long as you are certain that you have these SPEAKER wires, you could use a 9v battery to confirm which side is which and then hook them up appropriately. If you take the wires and "tap" them on the battery you should hear the speaker make a "popping" noise. Once you determine which wires go with which side you can following the wire color codes.
Also, remember to disconnect the car's battery before you screw around with the electrical system.

Thanks a bunch!!

you know what... I checked some other wiring diagrams for ford vehicles and they are all the same. It is hard to say without seeing the wires in front of me.
As long as you are certain that you have these SPEAKER wires, you could use a 9v battery to confirm which side is which and then hook them up appropriately. If you take the wires and "tap" them on the battery you should hear the speaker make a "popping" noise. Once you determine which wires go with which side you can following the wire color codes.
Also, remember to disconnect the car's battery before you screw around with the electrical system.

Back again.....
When you say bypass the amp, are you just not having it hooked up? The amp is already gone and there is a harness hanging down with 3 plugs that go to nothing. I am assuming that this is for the amp. What do I do with the amp wires?

Thanks

OK ..scratch that....

The 3 plugs at the bottom are for the trouble light display and such...

The AMP had 2 plugs. One has 4 wires and the other 5 wires. What do I have to do to bypass this?
The front speakers are not working at all. The rear work ok. I am told that the front speakers started to smoke when the AMP was wired into the new system. They unpluged the amp and the smoke stopped but so did the sound. I hooked a front speaker to the rear wiring and it worked. So the speaker seams to be ok.
Checking DC Voltage to the rear speakers, I get around 6.5 volts to ground. The front I get 0volts.
Just trying to figure out the system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Sounds to me like you have a "common ground" setup in the vehicle where 2 or more speakers share 1 ground wire. Almost all aftermarket radios these days run a "floating ground" setup, where each speaker has its own power and ground. you may have to run new wires to the speakers in the dash and just use the factory wiring for the rears.(so that no speakers are sharing wires) Also, with the new sterios, none of the speaker wires should be connected to ground, so if you can read a resistance to ground on a wire and it's not an open circuit, check out that wire. Also if you have to you could pull those rear speakers and just look at the color wires connected to them and then find them at the amp. They arent too hard to remove, if my memory serves me. :nice:

^I didn't even notice that.... Just posted the wire colors.

it is possible the after the amp there are 2 wire going to each speaker....

I see that 2badstangs posted that already.