Need good starter wrap...what to buy? Due to longtubes...

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Just like the subject says:nice:

Is their any that fit our starter's snug and don't look like :notnice: I want it to be a clean fit...any custom tailored fits for our starters?

• Sponsors (?)

if im not mistaken, Accell makes a starter wrap. It might be another company, but they are like $35. Check out your summit/Jegs catalogs. They come with a velco strap so that they fit snug... like you want em.

I made one for mine out of aluminum gutter flashing and nylon tie-wraps. Looks quite nice I think -- had the flashing and wraps already -- incremental cost was only a bit of my time. Click on the link for the picture. The key to insulation with this arrangement is creating an airspace between the aluminum and the starter. So there are 3-4 nylon tie-wraps UNDER the aluminum as well to space it off the starter and create the air space.

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9397&cat=500&page=1

04sleeper said:
Why not just wrap your header by the starter? I have some header wrap if you need some.

I actually had thought about doing that. Thanks for the offer kevin. I can probably pick some up with my other little orders. Dumb question(s), but will it be just as effective as a starter wrap? Any downsides to doing that. Probably if I ever wanted it off I would think it wouldn't come off...but oh well:)

I don't know of any header company that doesn't say that wraps void their warranty. The issue isn't whether there's any warranty still left on your headers -- it's that wrap isn't good for them. The biggest problem is that they trap moisture.

So what your saying is oxidation could occur, rusting out the header? I could wrap it real clean and tight on it and that might help that out...good point though.

The wrap sounds like a more clean way though...I'm leaning towards that idea. I'm not to worried about warranty. Rust isn't a real big problem here anyways...

So will the header wrap be sufficient enough to keep the starter from getting heat soaked? How many layers need to be applied because once the headers are in I don't want to wrap it with them in the car.