Need Help, 5.0 Electrical Problem!

Yo guys,
So i'm driving my 92 5.0 on the way to class. I had been driving it all morning and the turn signals worked fine. All of a sudden, they just stopped responding. My hazard lights still work. When I hit the button they flash as normal. It isn't my fuse because the fuse I checked it and it wasn't blown, not to mention everything else the fuse was connected to still worked. Nothing with the turn signals responds. The headlights don't blink, my little arrow gauges in the dash don't blink either. My handle still clicks up and down, and returns to normal when I turn, but there is no electrical response. Has this happened to anyone before? Or is there some Mustang Electrical genius that knows what i'm talking about or knows how to fix it? I figure there is maybe some kind of relay that is inside my steering column, but I really hope it isn't that. That sounds like a pain in the balls. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

my money is on a bad multi function switch or you may jus need new flashers. in order to replace the multi function on most cars you have to separate the 2 halves on the steering column which is really easy. i havent done one on the fox yet. jrichker will hopefully chime in on this one. you basically gotta check for a bad switch and bad flashers being that you said the fuses are good.

You should pull the column cover and remove the multi-function switch (turn signal switch). Pay close attention to the hard shell connector where the wires snap into. Gently tug on each wire and see if any pull out of the connector. The tabs that hold the wire terminal ends into the connector, tend to snap off allowing the wire to fall out of the connector and thus lose connection with the switch itself. You can buy a new hard shell connector at your local dealership, and simply pin out each wire and put each of them in the new connector.

If all your wires are nice and snug in the connector, you might want to look into getting a new switch.

Also, check your flashers. The turnsignal switch, hazzard switch, headlight switch, and flashers all share some loops, and when one fails it can have an odd effect on the rest of them.

So start with the basics. Fuses, bulbs, relays, flashers. Then move onto the connector going to the switch itself.

Waz900 said:
Something else I forgot to mention. My high beams and my windshield wipers still work on that switch. The only thing that doesn't work is the turn signals? Could that be a relay?
I had trouble following that colorful opening post.

Do your high and low beams function completely normal (I'm not talkin about Flash-to-pass)?

I would start with the flasher relay if that's all that doesn't work. Then run through the MF switch if the relay doesn't pan out.

To find your TS relay, you'll want 2 days supply of water, a walkin stick and some food. It can be located about anywhere under the dash (dont confuse it for the hazard relay which is in plain sight).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I had trouble following that colorful opening post.

Do your high and low beams function completely normal (I'm not talkin about Flash-to-pass)?

I would start with the flasher relay if that's all that doesn't work. Then run through the MF switch if the relay doesn't pan out.

To find your TS relay, you'll want 2 days supply of water, a walkin stick and some food. It can be located about anywhere under the dash (dont confuse it for the hazard relay which is in plain sight).

Good luck.
:rlaugh:

The turn signal flasher is really an Easter Egg hunt. Depending on the year model, it can be behind the radio, behind the glove box or on the back of the fuse panel.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Re-pinning the wiring connector to make odd model switches can be done. But I haven't done it, and do not have the proper sequence for the changes to the connector.

waz900....sounds kinda like mine....but mines way more retarded.....and my windshield wipers wont even work

hey jrichker.....i talked to my dad...he seems to think my problem has something to do with my windshield wiper motor....i told him what you told me though....let me go over it one more time because im goin to work on it today...

-turn my headlights on they work fine, dash lights come on
-swith my windshield wipers on, dash lights turn off
-only turn signal lights and bright indicator are on on my dash, none flashing
-tachometer dies....reads zero
-horn doesnt work
-while this is happening, outside my turn signals, headlights brake lights flashers etc work fine
-turn my headlight switch off, windshield wipers attempt to move very slowly...then stop mid way
-hit a bump hard enough everything goes back to normal
-until i switch my wipers on again....etc etc

could that be a loose wire? i found the switch at autozone for 90.00$.....

its a 90 by the way :)

Those multi-function switches are always a problem, and when they go bad, they cause strange issues.

You could have a bad MFS and notice your gas cap popping open or something like that.

(yes i know that was my extreme, but my point is a lot of weird electrical gremlins have been reported due to a bad MFS)

dznrroses said:
-turn my headlights on they work fine, dash lights come on
-swith my windshield wipers on, dash lights turn off
-only turn signal lights and bright indicator are on on my dash, none flashing
-tachometer dies....reads zero
-horn doesnt work
-while this is happening, outside my turn signals, headlights brake lights flashers etc work fine
-turn my headlight switch off, windshield wipers attempt to move very slowly...then stop mid way
-hit a bump hard enough everything goes back to normal
-until i switch my wipers on again....etc etc

I think that's a little more complicated than a MFS. I don't want to tell you to buy one for $90 onyo to have it not do a thing.

Has any of the electrical in the car been touched? I'm thinking there is a shorted wire there or some of the grounds have corroded and not making good connections.

I wish i had the 90-93 electrical schematics. All i have is the 87-89 manual.

One though. How is your battery and charging system overall? Is it healthy?

The key thing is the wiring in the ignition switch/Multifunction switch area likes to overheat, damage the switches, wiring connector shells and generally create havoc. A loose connection or two could easily cause all of the symptoms you describe. My advice is to remove the cover as I previously described and then remove the multifunction switch and ignition switch. Inspect the switches and the wiring connectors. I will bet that there will be several loose wires or wires that show evidence of overheating. The cover can remain off & the car can still be driven if something is found and the repair part(s) are not immediately available.