Need help/advice: stuck tentioner

smoker25

Jun 12, 2003
I have a 91 mustang 5.0. Alternator went out and I'm changing it. Didn't think this was going to be a problem. Disconnected the battery, loosened the belt tentioner center bolt, tentioner arm doesn't want to move. Even when I pullup on the arm to relieve tention, it will move just a little (not enough to take belt off). Is it supposed to be like this? I've never had to take the belt off before. Is there some kind of trick to get enough leverage to relieve the tention? Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

You shouldn't need to loosen the center bolt on the tensioner. But I have the same deal with mine when I was swapping alternators. Mine was due to the fact that I had underdrive pulleys and a different belt. When you pull up on the tentioner just slide the belt off of the water pump pulley. It has no grooves so it makes it easy to get off.

everything on my car is stock so should be nothing funny. I'm thinking that you loosen the nut so the tensioner arm isnt locked, then you should be able to move the arm to release the tension with little effort. This thing just doesn't want to move very easy.

If you loosened the nut it won't want to move by pulling on the nut anymore. I would tighten it back up if in fact you did loosen it. WHat i like to do is use a tire iron and slide it inbetween the tensioner body and the pulley from the driver's side, then it's just a quick push and up comes the tensioner.

You don't loosen the center nut; you put the wrench on the PULLEY nut (a good long wrench) and simply pull against the spring - rotate the pulley OFF the belt. One person can do it; it's easier for one person to pull against the spring, and the other to take the belt off. Once the belt is off, you gently release the pulley, it will spring all the way back down into position. If you take the center bolt out with the spring under tension and the tensioner breaks free, you could break some stuff - both human and parts under the hood. Be careful. I think you might need to tighten the 'nut' holding the wrench. :) Good luck.