need help ASAP engine turns when trying to remove crank pulley bolt

87lc2

Oct 16, 2005
attempting to install a new balancer and when turning the pulley bolt to loosen it, the engine just turns. I have the car in 4th, shouldnt the engine not turn? on an automatic car i would just vise grip the flywheel, but i cant get to the flywheel on this car. any help appreciated, car is on the lift as we speak......

• Sponsors (?)

Try putting two of the bolts that attach the crank pulley and between the bolts hold a pry bar in the opposite direction of the impact gun. I dont know if this would work but it looks like it would. Good luck
Never mind I am a dumbass I thought you needed to remove the balancer sorry.

Some folks in here use the 'bump the motor with a breaker bar on the crank bolt' method. I dont have the guts for it myself.

The brake, Impact and PB should do it.

Good luck.

finally found my impact and got it off, but now i have another issue.....im using the tool to get the balancer off, but nothings happening. im using the big bolt in the middle of the tool on the crank bolt and i just realized that move do anything.....what do i rest the tool on to break the balancer free???

Remove the crank bolt. Make sure you remove the washer that sits in the middle of the balancer there under the bolt too. Then put the cone piece on the end of the large center bolt. Use the pulley bolts and put them through the flat metal piece with the slots and screw them into the balancer but not all the way tight, then just turn the big bolt in and it pull push against the crank snout and pull the balancer off.

thanks for all the help guys, i forgot that there was a washer there....took that off threaded the bolt halfway back in and it came right out with the puller.....would have taken me half hour instead of two if i would have realized all of this from the start.....thanks again

5.02GO said:
Those people need their head examined too!:rolleyes:

LOL! Yes, but it sure beats a $120 tow bill when the balancer explodes in the parking lot at work! I got it changed pretty easily after my wife brought me my floor jack, stands, and other tools I didn't have in the car.