Need help bad. Power Steering pump Q's.

TobyGaff

Founding Member
Aug 23, 2002
Indianapolis
I have a 65 fastback that I am trying to retrofit power steering into. I have aquired a power steering setup off of a 65 coupe. It all went together pretty well, except.... my car does not have the original 289. It has a 302 from about 1973. The problem is that the power steering pump bracket from the 289 will not work, and I can not seem to find the right one. I have spent $150 buying various brackets and pumps, and I just can't find one that will fit in the car. They either don't fit, the pullies don't line up, or they will not work with the AC bracket.

Does anyone have a 302 in a 65 or 66 with power steering? If so, could you PLEASE post some good pictures of the pump and brackets so that I can see what I am looking for? I really appreciate it. I am getting seriously frustrated.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Power Steering

I am having a similar problem. I want to put power steering in my '65 GT and I got a pump with brackets from what I thought was a '69 Cougar with a 302. I came to find out the engine had the '70 up type water pump that has the water outlet on the driver side. My '65 has the water pump outlet on the pass side and is shaped different. the holes don't line up. I think my setup will work on yours and yours will work on mine.???

My water outlet is also on the passenger side. My problem is that whoever put this engine together used whatever parts they had laying around, so I have a mix-match of parts from 69-73. I don't think I even have a complete pump setup for anything other than a 289. I have a set of inner brackets that were on my engine. So I know they fit on there somehow. I have taken them off, now I need to figure out how they were on there originally. I also have a pump and outer pump bracket from a 71 Torino that I was hoping would work, but I can not see any possible way that it would fit.