Need help: building a motor for the explorer!

KKKK2114

May 29, 2011
High dezert
Well hello there, I'm kameron & I'm 19. I recently got into a explorer with a 5.0 & will be building it into a daily driver/prerunner. I'm the second owner & think I made a great purchase. I want to rebuild the little 302 because its got to be up to my standards & it will be hauling alot of weight.
Expo's are not light as it is & I plan to do a roll cage front-rear, thats 250-300lbs. Plus whatever else that may come. I'll also be running 33x12.5's, its got 4.10s but I may regear to 4.56's as I want 35's eventually!
I'm new to fords in general so bear with me. I rebuilt my 4.0 jeep into a 4.6L long rod stroker, it was a torque monster & ran on 87oct all day no issues! My goal is similar for this motor as well. I need power from 500-5800rpm & it needs to be reliable & run on 87oct. It will be driven every day with weather ranging from 120* to 32* & will be run hard when in the dezert.

I was thinking a 331, it'll help move the weight & will be great for daily use. I don't want to go all out here though, so help me out guys! Say a budget of 3k with assembly done at home!
I have no idea what cam/heads to run or anything. It needs torque to move weight but horsepower to keep me going at 65-80mph through the dezert!
Note that I'm willing to sacrifice a little power to keep it on 87oct. I want the baddest motor I can get on 87oct.

Heres some info if it helps: 5500+-lbs, 33x12.5, 4.10's (possibly 4.56's),
stock torque converter (auto trans), needs to run on 87oct & be reliable!

• Sponsors (?)