Need Help Choosing a Cam for 65 Stang

highvolts

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Ohio
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some help on choosing a cam for my 65 Stang. I'm rebuilding it currently with new but stock bottom end. I'll be putting a performer or performer rpm intake and carb kit, new alum. heads or port/polish stockers, headers and exhaust, Rebuilt c4 tranny and some new gears. It'll mainly be a street machine / show.

What do yall think of this one:

Ford 289-302 Xtreme Energy XE274H Cam & S-Kit

or

Ford 289-302 Xtreme Energy XE268H Cam & S-Kit

Thanks in Advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

With the 274 I believe you need a higher stall converter in the transmission. The difference overall isin't going to be that huge. I'm between those two cams as well... if I had a manual I'd get the 274 but since I doubt the extra gain will be worth spending an extra few hundred on the stall converter, I'd go with the 268. Both should work though.

I have a Crane 288 something and stock stall.

edit: forgot to talk about your car... :rolleyes:

By street machine do you mean you want it as fast as your 03 or faster, even? With a bigger cam like a 288 and the right heads, it's easily possible. Mine walks GTs (no offense). If you want a smooth idle with still a lot of power go with the 268.

As of right now, the machine shop is using factory fasteners, I am gonna get some ARP studs for the main caps. My compression ratio should be somewhere 9:1 or 10:1.

highvolts said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some help on choosing a cam for my 65 Stang. I'm rebuilding it currently with new but stock bottom end. I'll be putting a performer or performer rpm intake and carb kit, new alum. heads or port/polish stockers, headers and exhaust, Rebuilt c4 tranny and some new gears. It'll mainly be a street machine / show.

What do yall think of this one:

Ford 289-302 Xtreme Energy XE274H Cam & S-Kit

or

Ford 289-302 Xtreme Energy XE268H Cam & S-Kit

Thanks in Advance!!

I like smooth idle so I use a Performer grind cam. Good bottom end and when I run against someone, I can shift at 5,000 PRM and still pull hard. I also use an RPM intake and it works well. At about 3,000 PRM, the rear breaks loose. That is what I recomend.