need help choosing an intake manifold

86lxhatch

Nov 14, 2011
East Tennessee
I am building a 306, forged pistons, b cam, 5 speed carb setup and was wondering if I could run a super victor, or vic. jr. intake manifold on this motor, and whether or not it would work...it's gonna get a 600 holley on top. Any ideas or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

You might be happier with an RPM air gap to better match that cam and I am assuming stock heads. I ran an RPM air gap for years and loved it, my setup was comp xe274h, ported E7's, 10.9:1 CR, 650 holley and long tubes. It ran very well and did not lack on the bottom end at all and would pull to the rev limit(6al box) I set at 6500 no problem. I have no experience with the Victor Jr. but my engine builder at the time had me steer away from it unless I was going alot bigger and it does not sound like you are so just something to think about.

Okay, I'll go with the rpm air gap then. As far as the carb goes, I see there are 2 choices with the holley: either a vacuum secondary, or a double pumper...which should I choose? I was thinking the d.p. because I'm afraid with that cam I won't have enough vacuum at low rpms to support my brakes with the vac. second. carb....does that sound right? I'm mainly going to be autocross/road racing the car, but want it to be manageable going to and from the track...oh yeah, I haven't found any heads yet. I'm on a budget, and will be looking for used heads. Thanks for your help guys...