need help cooling my 408 stroker

mbell

Jan 25, 2006
I just finished installing a 408 stoker in my 69 fastback. Approx 475 hp. I have upgraded the water pump to an Edelbrock #8843 (jeg's #), 27" x 19" aluminun 2 row radiator with Flex-a-lite black magic 3300 cfm electric fan with shroud.

The engine idle temperature is 200, in traffic it is 220 and on highway it is 200.

This seams hot - is it? I was hoping for 180. I have taken thermostat out - put it back in - it got hotter. I tried pulling the guts out of the thermostat and just installing the restrictor ring - still at 220 in traffic. I flushed out the system and tried the alcohol/water mix - still 220 in trafic.

Is this to hot - any suggestions would be apprciated

• Sponsors (?)

200 at highway speeds is troubling, unless you are in very hot climate now. Is fan on thermostat or running full-time? My elec fan has thermostat. It ran hot due to thermostat not fully embedded (pushed into) radiator core. Once I did that, the fan turned on sooner. Is shroud a direct fit for your rad? Any large spaces between shroud and rad? If so, close those up. Anyway, some ideas.

GoinBroke said:
Before doing anything else I would verify the temp with another gauge if you have one handy. Do you have the fan relaythermostat controlled and if so what temp is it kicking the fan on/off?

I would agree. What gauge are you using now? I'm not sure I'd trust that fan pulls as much CFM as claimed. As stated, I'd want/expect something lower than 200* while cruising/highway speeds. What brand of radiator is it?

I used a Mark Vlll fan, $65 used, a Bosch 75a relay, $25, a $15 Hayden fan controller on a Fox body stang last year and it worked great and the on/off temps were adjustable. The drawback is that fan is very thick but it will suck air like you would not believe. If I were you I would place the temp sensor in the thermostat housing and I would bet this will change your on/off temps back where they should be. Here are a couple of good leads if that does not correct the problem.

www.mustangmotorsport.com/fan.html
www.dccontrol.com

Thanks for the help guys. I have hooked up a second temp gauge and they both had same temp. I have installed a 165, 180 and 190 thermostat. I have ran it with no thermostat. I have ran it with the guts cut out of a thermostat. I have added 6 holes around the perimeter of a fuctioning thermostat (try to slightly increase flow).

I have the fan temperature controler turn all the way down so it runs all the time. I think anyway - can't tell if if turns off while driving the car.

I am ordering a new flex fan and taking out the electric fan this week. I'll let you know how it turns out. What puzzles me is the car idles at 200 and runs 200 on freeway - only in traffic while in gear does it go to 220. On the freeway it shouldn't matter what the fan is - 70 miles per hour pushes lots of air into the radiator.

I purchased the radiator from jeg's. It is a Jeg's universal radiator #555-51178.

Thanks again for the response. I'm still smiling - it may run a 200 degrees but it still plants you butt in the seat when you get on it! - when I can manage to get those 295's to hook up that is.

mbell,

Please let me know how it goes as I am about three weeks away from the putting a 408 in my 69 also. I bought a 3 row stock style radiator and still need to buy a shroud and am wondering if my 5 blade stock mechanical fan will pull enough cfm to keep it cool.

do you have an oil cooler in front of your radiator?
I just went through the same problems your having, I moved my oil cooler and dropped 20* on the water temp.

Are you sure the air/fuel mixture is correct on the carb. May be running too lean.
Are you sure the timing is correct.

I don't have an oil cooler but I do have a transmission cooler mounted on the front of the radiator. It's mounted directly in front of the fan location. You could be onto something.

thanks

mbell said:
I don't have an oil cooler but I do have a transmission cooler mounted on the front of the radiator. It's mounted directly in front of the fan location. You could be onto something.

thanks

I also have my trans cooler in front of the rad with no problems.... Moving it may help in traffic to draw more air but it should not be that hot at highway speeds......