Need help diagnosing dead power window

Kerpal

Aug 9, 2004
The other day my driver's side power window just stopped working without warning. I know it isn't the switch b/c I swapped it with the passenger window switch and it still didn't work (passenger window still works fine). The volt gauge doesn't move when I hit the driver's switch either. I assume this means either the window motor is dead, or there is break in the wiring somewhere.

I have a multimeter but I'm not to familiar with using it... how can I check the window motor and the connections to see what's getting power? How do I even access the window motor in the driver's door? It seems to be tucked away in there pretty well.

Also, is there any way I can roll the window up manually? Of course the stupid thing had to quit working while the window was rolled down halfway.

• Sponsors (?)

Your 90?

You can't do it manually. The door panel comes off, then there are three screws that hold the motor to the regulator frame. There is also one connection.

The motor body is ground. 12V is sent to either wire. This tells the motor which direction to go. You can put your ground lead anywhere on door ground, then slip the point of the hot lead to one wire and try the switch in both positions. This will tell you if it is getting power.

Most common problem a motor dies is the copper braid of the brush breaks. This has happened on my 84 driver's 3 times. I bought new brushes for a generator at Autozone that were of the same configuration and used sandpaper to bring them down to size.
Or, I understand that 5.0 Resto has a brush kit for the front power window motors.

Another common problem is when you hear the motor running, but nothing is moving. There are three cylindrical bushings that wear. These can be had at 5.0 Resto as well, or any Help section at any auto parts store.

temporary fix

you can undo the bolts holding the regulator pull it down and out of the way them have someone hold the window in the up position while you bolt it back in.
When mine broke it was in the down position and it was raining like no other. This worked in a pinch.
Otherwise:

I got the window regulator from 5.0 resto and it died on me in about 2 months..... usually their stuff is good quality:shrug:

then i went to the junkyard and scored one for $15 still works 6 months later.