Need help diagnosing lean codes '94 GT

Getting an intermittent Code 172 & 176 (lean O2 sensor left and right), mostly on the highway, occasionally in town.

Engine is all stock, runs fine, old plugs & wires, 90K miles.

If I just got 1 side showing lean, I'd assume it was that oxygen sensor, but with two showing I think it's really lean and not a sensor fault.

Additional possible symptom is that I occasionally get a weird, strong alcohol-like smell at idle, mostly when cold. Been happening for months, I'm busy and hope it'll go away ;-) Not yet...

Where should I start looking - the obvious "clean the injectors", or somewhere else first ?

Thanks!

Karl Vacek

• Sponsors (?)

The injectors are fine more than likely, but it wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of injector cleaner to them. I would first start with new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, blah, blah, blah. Anything that can be used to tune up the car. I would get new oxygen sensors as well - they are probably the cause. They can wreak a lot of havoc when they start to get old and nasty. Just give the car a full tune up, she will probably run like a new car once it's done.

Joe