Need help finding a 347 crate engine...any suggestions

InMyPrimeSVT

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
Cincinnati
Due to a recent blunder in my engine, I'm looking at putting a more powerful engine in my Cobra than my 302 Cobra. Anybody ordered a 347 crate? Where from? Good/bad expertiences with anyone? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You hear good and bad with just about all companies. There is Coast High Performance, DSS, Ford Racing just to name a few. I have dealt with Coast but just for a few kits never a crate motor. They will be doin the 408 or 427 shortblock for us in the month or 2. We chose them for there rep and as repeat business plus I didn't want to wait another 9 months like I did for my 347.

The ford racing 450hp crate is real nice but is way to expensive now. My brother got it last year for $6100 the price now is like $8600. His 84gt ran 11.6's @119.xx with it the first time out.

I'd definitely give Rick a shout first, but with the stuff he's had going on, he may not want to take on any extra projects right now, or may have a little longer lead time in getting around to your project. Shoot him a PM and see what he says. If not, you can't really go wrong with any of the big shops like CHP, DSS, etc. either.

I'm not sure about CHP, but DSS offers Dart blocks as an option. Otherwise, the block is the same from every vendor if it's a factory block. The rule of thumb seems to be around 500 HP for the factory block. Above that and you're in block splitting territory and playing with fire.