Need Help, Front Seat Hinges Popping

5.0muscle

Dec 26, 2013
Hi All,

I need some help with my front seats. The backs of both seats are starting to lean farther and farther back. And if you raise them back up, as soon as you sit down and put pressure on the back the hinge pops or clicks and it falls a bit. Has anyone else had this problem before and can explain what is needed to fix it? I have looked around for replacement hinges in case this is the problem but have not found any for sale. Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

The metal frame inside the seat back has probably cracked. It can be welded in most cases, but any repair that you do means removing the upholstery. The major trick here is the headrests off, and the how to do that changes with model years. The 89-93 have a single steel post.

See headrest removal | Mustang Forums at StangNet for the how to get the headrest off for these year cars.

The upholstery has a zipper that you unzip and then you can slide the upholstery off to repair the seat back frame.

The floor pan mounts for the front of the seats have also been known to crack and cause similar problems.
See Need Help | Mustang Forums at StangNet for the fix for that problem.

Thank you for the reply.

However when this happens it feels like it is the hinge not the frame of the seat. When it pops and falls a little, I can lift the hinge lever, move the seat back to where it was and keep going. Then randomly it will pop and fall again. I dont really notice any "Gangster Lean" as it has been called in some threads, that results from broken frames.