Need Help Identifying engine/trans combo

montys69mach

Sep 11, 2004
Hello there. I am in the process of buying an 351C 4V with 2 barrel heads. The owner had the engine rebuilt 8 years ago and never had a chance to fire it up, it is on a stand in his garage for the past 8 years. He doesn't know much about it but I can tell you it looks brand new aside from the layer of dust. he said it was from his old 69 mach 1 and he has the tranny that matches up with the engine, also rebuilt and looks new (on the top of the bellhousing was stamped 23). He also is giving me a nice pair of headers that had New Mexico ingraved next to the collector. Everything is there 4 barrel carb, power steering pump, belts, hoses, oil filter, distributor, altenator. My question is where do i find the engine code and trans code to figure out what it really is? Thanks for any advice or info. BTW I'm buying it for $800, engine/tranny/headers. He has two aircleaners ones chrome and the other is factory ford blue. both say 351 4V. Thanks again!

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, are you sure it is a 351C? 1969 Mustangs came with 351 Windsor V8s. The Cleveland was not made until 1970. Is the thermostat housing located in the front of the intake manifold or does it come out the top of the front of the engine? Can you post any pictures? Is the transmission auto or manual?

yes its def a cleveland, i know that it didn't come in the 69, and that it was intro'd in 70. I would like to know if the 351-4V, came with 4 barrel heads only or did they also come with 2 barrel heads and just a 4 barrel carb? On the bottom rear of the block the numbers were 2E12 and next to that was
D2 AE CA The trans is an auto, my guess is a C 6, it has the number 23 stamped on the top of the bellhousing and on the bottom near the pan. Also on the side of the tranny is stamped A9. there is a serial number 1H188504, if that helps at all. Anyone have an idea or can be of help thanks.

The 351C 4V should have 4V heads. The 2V engines came with 2V heads and a 2V carb. There will be a "4" or a "2" stamped in the front top corner of the heads (as you look down on them) for easy ID.

A 2v headed 351-c would not have come from Ford with a 4V carb.....

I know for sure they're 2 barrel heads, that was the first thing i checked when i saw the motor. The air cleaner said 351 4V but it had 2V heads, so i wanted to know if it originally came as a 2V and was converted to a 4V carb or is it a 4V that was rebuilt and had 2V heads put on. I know this was a fairly common swap for better street performance. Besides I have an extra set of 4V heads in my garage from a 351 Boss motor I had in a 69 fastback (I should have never sold that one) if I want to put 4V heads on it. Although I wouldn't mind the new edelbrock heads for the clev. Those with a turbo...hmm now where talkin $$$. Anyone know of someone with a turbo 351C. I heard there popular in Austraila making between 600-800 hp. I've done some research on the casting numbers from the block, the 2E12 means it is a 72 block built on May 12. The D2 AE CA from the research I've done I believe means 72-74 4V with 4 bolt mains. can anybody verify if that is correct. Thank you.

montys69mach said:
I know for sure they're 2 barrel heads, that was the first thing i checked when i saw the motor. The air cleaner said 351 4V but it had 2V heads, so i wanted to know if it originally came as a 2V and was converted to a 4V carb or is it a 4V that was rebuilt and had 2V heads put on.

It's really impossible for us to know that.