Fox Need help identifying part.

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
I have a 93 notch with stock 302. Saw this hanging loose and wondering what it is and should it be hanging?
20180902_120102.jpg

And extra question, is the serpentine belt supposed to be wearing like this? I hearing squeaking from the power steering pump which I plan on replacing. I'm also replacing the tensioner soon.
20180902_121310.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That 'thing' hanging is the purge canister solenoid, as long as it's hooked up to everything it should be ok, the belt I'm not sure what your getting at, it will wear on the top some or are you looking at that bit of fuzz on the side

Reactions: 1 user
That 'thing' hanging is the purge canister solenoid, as long as it's hooked up to everything it should be ok, the belt I'm not sure what your getting at, it will wear on the top some or are you looking at that bit of fuzz on the side

All of the smog equipment was taken off by the previous owner. Should I remove the purge canister solenoid as well than?

I think that's actually from a red rag I was using to wipe the engine bay down but I'll check it out. Thanks.
The red is not from the belt. The smooth side discoloring is normal.
Power steering noise you indicated is not from the pump. If the pump is not leaking, it's fine, no need to replace it. It's probably overdue for a flush. The squeaking could be from the serpentine belt or the tensioner. If the tensioner is within the range marked on it, it has the proper tension. The pulley bearing could be worn out.