Need help in choosing cam for 351w

jruppert

Founding Member
Oct 20, 2001
Michigan
My current cam in the 351w is too small. It is a TFS stage 1 with 1.7 roller rockers. Ideally I would like to go with a custom cam but my future plans would be to build a 393 or 408. It would be at this time that I would go custom. Anyway, the cam is too small and I want something with more grunt. It runs good from 1500 to around 4800 but seems to drop off after that. I would like something that would pull good into the high 5,000 range or low 6,000 range. I do not remember style valve reliefs are in my engine. When I purchased the engine (online), the builder told me that it would accept the z303 cam. However, with 1.7 rockers, I am unsure where to go. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

With a 1.7RR, the Crower cam appears to be .527 intake and .544 exhaust. My TFS stage 1 cam comes in at .530/.542. I am unsure where I should be according to the rest of my combo. I do know that it pulls pretty good up until 4500 or so then it falls flat. That may be partly to do with the intake though.

Could very well be, those AFR 185's are going to want more air then the Edelbrock RPM is going to give it. I had the Cobra intake on mine w/ the same heads and it was running out of steam in the higher RPM's, changed the cam and the intake and picked up 3.5MPH untuned in the 1/4 mile

Thanks for the suggestions. I wouldnt mind going with a chrome style Cobra intake. I like the looks of them. I wasnt really sure how they stand up to the overall cfm flow that the AFR 185's will require. Any thoughts about the spyder intake? There are a few things I need to consider along with a cam. I understand the intake should be upgraded and probably the headers as well. I would like to go with a set of Kooks 2 inch headers with a 3 1/2 collector. Do you think this would be over kill?

Thanks for the suggestions. I wouldnt mind going with a chrome style Cobra intake. I like the looks of them. I wasnt really sure how they stand up to the overall cfm flow that the AFR 185's will require. Any thoughts about the spyder intake? There are a few things I need to consider along with a cam. I understand the intake should be upgraded and probably the headers as well. I would like to go with a set of Kooks 2 inch headers with a 3 1/2 collector. Do you think this would be over kill?

The Spyder intake would be a nice upgrade, either that or the Victor JR or the Trick Flow R for the 351W. As far as the headers Im not to sure b/c that's one area I have not tackled yet.

It's not all about lift...you want to be looking at duration numbers more than anything if you're not happy with what you have, really....a stage 2 cam would be a huge increase in performance. Do a search on how camshafts make power with lift, duration, etc....

I did not want to go with a custom cam right now because I plan on building another engine next year. I want a cam that will perform better then what I have now. Thanks
Since you want to wait until next year for your custom cam, then I say just go with the TFS stage 2 for now. It is more agressive then the stage 1 you have in there now, and it is inexpensive.

Per summitracing, it looks like you have this one: TFS-51402000

The TFS-51402001 is only $169.

I would like to go with a set of Kooks 2 inch headers with a 3 1/2 collector. Do you think this would be over kill?
Is this going to be a race car or a street car? I had KOOKS and they were beautiful. the problem I had was they hung too low so they scraped on every speed bump ever made and they leaked like crazy at the collectors. If I were building a race car, they would have been fine, but mine is 100% street, so I got rid of them and got some mid lengths from accufab.

But about the sizes ... 2" primaries with 3 1/2" collectors are HUGE. Unless you are building a 427 turbo, then I'd say that is overkill.

You need more duration. That's what will make it pull into the higher RPM. Also you need a good flowing intake I wouldn't run the Cobra unless it was extrude honed or cut and ported....for Way less money you could buy a Edelbrock, T/F etc.

2" headers are Way too big for 351 cubes and 185 heads.

You 185 heads are going to be too small when you stroke it to a 408. If you had a 408 with big heads and forced induction you could get away with 2" headers.

Do you think the TFS 2 cam with extra duration will be good enough until I build my engine? I am really concerned about the clearance with these 1.7's. What intake would you suggest? I am already running an RPM intake with 75mm throttle. Thanks