Need help - Misfire/Backfire

Mar 7, 2018
Hey guys I'm having problems with my 89 lx. Lately it started misfiring and backfiring through the intake. I've replaced the plugs and wires, fuel filter, iac, mad and distributer but the problem hasn't went away. It's real bad when going up a hill, I lose like 10 mph even while accelerating. It feels like it's really struggling, almost like it's pulling a trailer or something.
A little bit about it and some recent history. It's got Edelbrock performer heads and intake, scorpion roller rockers, the timing chain has been replaced before I bought it, and it's only at 115xxx miles. Recently I had to replace the valve springs bc one broke, but it was running fine after that until recently. Any ideas? Thanks

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes.