need help picking a mustang

yodre

Nov 16, 2007
Hi all, Im new to mustangs. Im interested in buying an older style mustang, 2000+ years.

My budget is around 10k. I want something with no more then 70-80k. I really like the gt and am wondering what the best years are for that car with my budget? What should I look out for particularly maintanence wise when inspecting the car?

I also wouldn't mind getting a v6, but prefer the v8. Im just looking for a car thats easy to fix and somewhat more reliable than my 325i. Ive wasted so much $ on fixing sensors etc Im ready to sell it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Anything from 99 to 04 are pretty much the same. Same engine and drivetrain just a few cosmetic differences. You should be able to find something for a fair price. Just have to look around the used car lots and classifieds. If your going to get one get a Gt over the v6, you'll be alot happier and there are a ton of mods out there for them. They are pretty reliable cars, the wifes GT has 104K on it and is still going strong. Haven't done anything to it but the usual maintenance. You won't regret it. Good luck finding what you want.

i believe the 99 and maybe the 2000 still had the composite coolant crossover, so they would require more "maintanace" i.e. changing it than a 2001+. But besides that they are all equally very reliable. Finding a nice 2001+ for 10k under 70k miles wont be too easy, but lately prices have been coming down.

Search on the internet for mustang gt's, there are tons of them to fit your price range. I'm thinking for the miles you want on there, 99-2001, maybe 2002 if you find a lucky one. Good luck with car hunting though.

Whatever you do, get the V8. You will be happy you did:D

I had a '01 330ci and loved it, didn't have any issues with it reliability wise. It just costs an arm and a leg for parts/repairs :D

BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes's are great cars...but i would never own one out of warranty :D

I see what my friends pay for repairs and it's rediculous.

Meanwhile 50K miles and 4 years on my GT and the only repair i've made is a $8 rear axle seal.

What year 325i do/did you own? E36 or E46?

I had a '01 330ci and loved it, didn't have any issues with it reliability wise. It just costs an arm and a leg for parts/repairs :D

I had an e36 for the last 6 years. From the top of my head this is what has been replaced:

sensors: knock, camshaft, crank, temperature, mass air flow, o2, coolant temp, brake circuit

mechanical: 2 ignitors, 2 radiators and all lines, transmission, idle control vavle, water pump/fan, control arms, all wheel bearings, both tie rods 2x, transmission cooler, all gaskets, front and rear tail lights(bmw designs the worst light assemblies), power window arms and motors, fog lights

I do all the work myself, but parts are expensive. Recently I did the maf sensor, 400 bucks from a mechnics part distributor.

In the last 3 months I have fried 3 transmissions, 2 different shops cannot pin point the problem. Im ready to drive it off a cliff.[/

I bought my 2000 GT for $9000 two years ago and it had 73,000 miles. It was mint then and is even sweeter now that I have redone it all. You can find great deals out there, just keep shopping. Don't settle for the first mustang you find. Don't be afraid to be picky. You will be happy you were picky!

I bought my 2000 GT for $9000 two years ago and it had 73,000 miles. It was mint then and is even sweeter now that I have redone it all. You can find great deals out there, just keep shopping. Don't settle for the first mustang you find. Don't be afraid to be picky. You will be happy you were picky!

:stupid:

i bought my 2000 GT for $9000 two years ago also with an auto and a tan leather interior, she had 63,000 miles on the clock. but now that i have my '99 with a 5 speed and a black leather interior im sorry i didnt get that in the first place. so as said before, BE picky.

Bought mine a yr and some odd months ago for 10,500 had 37k on the odo. Few simple mods, black, leather, just have patience and your deal will come the check the ads daily and look in mustang forums that is where i found my car. also be willing to drive a few hours always helps saved me a few thousand just by driving 3 hrs one way