Need help picking a new tranny..how's the Super Duty World Class t5?

tim_the_toolman

Founding Member
Nov 30, 2001
Nashville TN
The M-7003-z is the one I am thinking about. I sold my stock t5 for 850 bucks (not bad i guess). I have another t5 that is stock and shot. What should I do. I am considering the above mentioned tranny due to price (1109 through Jeg's and Summit). Would I be going wrong? Anyone use this tranny before? Help

• Sponsors (?)

I had it behind a stock motor, and it got the living snot kicked out of it every day, and after 90,000 miles, it started to grind every once in a while into 3rd. It was really abused. I was very impressed, but it was a bone stock engine.

There good trannys so I've heard but first gear is going to be longer. It has a 2.95 first gear. Which would be great for a higer rear end gear. There rated at 330ft/lbs which is probably a little underrated....You know Ford.

But those Tremec TKO500's look like a really nice tranny. If you plan on modding the crap out of your car go for that. There rated at 500ft/lbs.

I just talked to a guy at Pro Motion Performance Powertrain, because they buy T5 World Class cores for like 150. I wanted him to price me a tranny comprable to a TKO or a 3550. He was a total dick. He said to give him the specs on the motor and then he would quote me so I did and then he started telling me that NO stock geared t5 would hold up to 450 ft torque. I said I thought you guys modded them to handle over 600. He says yeah but there not stock geared . Well duh, neither is a tremec. So he gave me a price of 1545.00 He was such a dick if he said 400 I wouldn't buy one. I know I am not a tranny prodigy but he didnt have to treat me like a moron. Anyhow I may still send them this core I have for the cash. All it need is a new fork and syncros and it's fine. Maybe I should fix it and sell it on ebay or something. He also said the 3550 Tremec is no longer being made, that they are all 500 and 600's now. Which, if true, sucks cuz I was almost ready to pick up the phone and get either a 3550 or TKO from www.bieberfever.com. Is tremec still making them? Anyone need a tranny in need of slight repair?

I'm pretty sure they still make the 3550, infact, I'm almost positive, as I think ecu 5.0 from this site is ordering one...ecu..you out there???

don't waste your time with the t5z, it blows. just another t5 trying to be a real tranny. It's not gonna hold up to abuse for long, powershifting, 5k throttle drops, etc. sure if you're nice to it it will hold up...but why??
get yourself a brand new tremec for around $1300. try d&d, that's where my bro got his, and they were super cool. You'll need the tremec bell for another couple of hundred. If you can find an early srod bell, that will work too and save you cash.

my bad, he's getting the tko I checked d&d, and saw no 3550s. very strange, maybe they did stop production. they did have alum shafts for only $174 though.

Ok after a bit of reasearch TTC is definitely no longer making the 3550 or the original TKO. Just the TKO500 and TKO600. I priced one from AMP and from Don Walsh Sr. 1794 delivered, includes bell, shifter,slip yoke, everything. But before I spend like 500-600 more than I want to , what about the G-Force upgrade? Anyone get it done?

never had the geforce t-5 rebuild but from what I've read there great, but the killer is the price that your paying is like 2 grand for a rebuilt t-5 tranny with stronger cut gears. I paid $1874.85 for my tko500 from 50resto.com shipped to my house had to buy the slipe yoke and bellhousing seperate but the price includes everything.

As far as I know the tko500 and 600 are modified 3550's if you look at the casing on the tranny it wll say 3550 on it but the tranny tag model number is the tko500 or 600.

yeah ttc changed the tail housing because their sand mold for the 3550 were shot and they had to repair them each run they made. i am told that the large increase in the price of the newer models is to offset their tooling costs for the new molds. they also changed they gear composition to include stronger metal. among a few other small things the forks aren't aluminum there cast iron.

I have a T-5z and a Tremec. The T-5z has held up to all the road racing I have thrown at it and it is now a spare. The Tremec is much beefier and you can just feel that it is a heavy duty trans with every shift. It is slightly notchy at times under "normal" type driving. But at wide open it is almost like butter. If I were faced with a choice I would go with the Tremec. The Tremec shifter is junk though and if you need a bell why not just go with a blow proof right away?

bmo37 said:
As far as I know the tko500 and 600 are modified 3550's if you look at the casing on the tranny it wll say 3550 on it but the tranny tag model number is the tko500 or 600.

Yeah, the 500 and 600 are just upgraded 3550's good for 500 and 600 ftlbs

The 3550 is only rated for 350 ft-lbs. In Comparision, the T-3650 in the 01+ Mustang is rated for 360 ft-lbs, so yeah, it's stronger by 10 ft-lbs even though early version shift like junk you could prob pick one up for dirt cheap. I beleive an early SROD bellhousing should work with it but i have no way of confirming that.

tim_the_toolman said:
Can I put a 01 up tranny (the 3650) in my 86 foxbody?

Ah, no you cannot. I just remembered the 3650 has an intergrated bellhousing that is part of the tranny. Since the 3650 is only used in 3 vehicles (Mustang GT, Mach 1 and the 5.4L DOHC Ford Falcon) there is only 1 bolt pattern for the modular motor. It will not bolt up to a 5.0 without some sort of adapter or a modified bellhousing component.

Mustang5L5 said:
Ah, no you cannot. I just remembered the 3650 has an intergrated bellhousing that is part of the tranny. Since the 3650 is only used in 3 vehicles (Mustang GT, Mach 1 and the 5.4L DOHC Ford Falcon) there is only 1 bolt pattern for the modular motor. It will not bolt up to a 5.0 without some sort of adapter or a modified bellhousing component.

ugh, any input on the z spec rebuild?

tim_the_toolman said:
ugh, any input on the z spec rebuild?

I myself would look into a G-force rebuild before a Z-spec.

There are a lot more levels and options to choose from with G-force and you can build a tranny from stock levels to up to 600HP.

I just prefer to stick with a t-5 over upgrading to another trans. The T-5 is light and compact and VERY easy to rebuild. I've rebuilt a few and they are simple compared to a T-3550, T-56 or t-3650

well its 1095 for the 1st-4th gear set, 295 for the better shaft and 200 for the small parts kit, so they basically say 1600 for the whole enchilada not including the install which is another 200. 1800 for a t5 that will handle 600hp from the flywheel. OUCH, now I am back to square one again, for that price i might as well go for the tremec tko600 which is only 37 bucks more than the tko500.

if i were to find a used 3550, what might i expect to pay?