need help picking out springs

loudexhaust

May 13, 2006
Here's what I got. A 91 GT with smaller tires and about a 3 inch gap between the fender and tire up top. I was considering the pro kit but it says it only lowers about 1.2" in the front and 1 in the rear. I found this cheap kit on ebay which lowers it almost 2" front and rear. Anyone used these? So basically those are the 2 kits in looking at. i don't really mind spending $250 but i'm looking to take up a bunch of my wheel well space and get a slightly better ride.

• Sponsors (?)

Well...how small are your tires?! Stock tire diameter is 25.75 inches and the size is 225/55/16. What size are your current tires? I have steeda sport springs and they dropped my car a full 2" in the front and just over 1.5" in the back. Eibachs are great spring but will not drop the car as much. I would not buy those cheepo springs from ebay. Get a nice progressive rate spring.

I honestly do not like the eibachs and yes, I do own them and still run them. I ABSOLUTELY love the ride that progress springs give. I have installed them in four different vehicles (4, 6, and 8 Cyl) and they ride amazing. Check out their web site. Pricing is really good on them as well.

http://www.progressauto.com/

I've got the Eibach Sportlines on mine, and it sits pretty low. I think it looks great, but kinda sucks if someone wnats to ride in the back. There is really no trouble getting over speedbumps though.

DSC00783.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00783.jpg
    DSC00783.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 66
too much fender gap

Here's what I got. A 91 GT with smaller tires and about a 3 inch gap between the fender and tire up top. I was considering the pro kit but it says it only lowers about 1.2" in the front and 1 in the rear. I found this cheap kit on ebay which lowers it almost 2" front and rear. Anyone used these? So basically those are the 2 kits in looking at. i don't really mind spending $250 but i'm looking to take up a bunch of my wheel well space and get a slightly better ride.

hi how are you i have a 93 gt and i'm running the iebach pro kit which it dropped my car almost too inch's. if you want it too hover the ground and close the gap alot than i say go with iebach's sport kit . one thang too remember is the prokit has a progressive rate spring nice ride not too stiff and handle's like a pro the sport kit rides really rough it's stiff and also handles excellent

Im running 45's right now. I don't even know if my springs are stock but they are black and not progressive.

Do those progressauto springs ride much better then stock? Every time I hit a crack in the pavement going around a corner I feel like i'm going to lose my rear end.

This what your running?
And are they on the car in your sig?

I have the older version of the springs, they were powdercoated turquoise, but yes essentially the same thing. As for the ride, they are a slight bit stiffer than stock, but nothing that is a sacrafice. You definitely get ride improvement though! I lowered it with these springs, put on a strut tower brace and my wheels and tires and went out with my dad and his division of svt owners. That being said, I was NEVER left out in the corners. Good springs.

As for your bumps in the road causing your car to hop or jump or whatever, its in your best interest to run a bumpsteer kit. This will eliminate that.

Yes they are on the car in my sig.:nice:

I have the older version of the springs, they were powdercoated turquoise, but yes essentially the same thing. As for the ride, they are a slight bit stiffer than stock, but nothing that is a sacrafice. You definitely get ride improvement though! I lowered it with these springs, put on a strut tower brace and my wheels and tires and went out with my dad and his division of svt owners. That being said, I was NEVER left out in the corners. Good springs.

As for your bumps in the road causing your car to hop or jump or whatever, its in your best interest to run a bumpsteer kit. This will eliminate that.

Yes they are on the car in my sig.:nice:

Dang it don't tell me to spend MORE money! My best interest is to save for college! Anyways, Does your front end sit above a typical curb or does it hit? Not a big deal but it looks really low and i'm paranoid.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?????
A 2" drop? Yea, you'll NEED a bumpsteer kit, CC plates. Get MM! So, add another couple hundred dollars. And, a 2+" drop on a GT is TOO LOW for a Stang! Unless you have at LEAST 800-1000 rate springs, it's plain foolish!. Also, the handling would be pathetic. So, it's getting well into ricer territory. Below ~1.5", the CG gets all screwed up.

If you don't know why it's important where you live, then I strongly suggest you wait until AFTER college and you've learned a lot more.

In the mean time, go to Amazon.com, and get some used books on handling. Herb Adams has some old, but good ones to start with.

Also, you'll NEED proper struts with the stiffer springs. You're better off going with adj struts ($400+).

Or, you can get a hacksaw, and cut ~1" from the stock springs. That will lower the car ~2" and make the car worthless on real world streets. Pretty much like most any other poor mod that was done half-*ssed.

The PRELIM version of my Spring FAQ:
http://veryuseful.com/InvisionBoard/index.php?showtopic=3

I just went out and actually measured and I have 3 and a quarter inches of space above the front tire and a tad under 3 in the rear. Is this normal for 255/45 tires?

The car should be between 26.5" to 27" tall at each fender. Ford quality control SUCKS! *Many* cars have 1/4' -1/2" difference between sides. Also, the difference in wheel load between the left and right can be ~15+%.

MM and Griggs. *So far*, I haven't seen a single bad product from either. *Most* (but not all) FRPP parts are also very good. But, the FRPP bumpsteer kit is a re-package and doesn't come close to the MM parts.

For a GT, *in general* there's ~1.5" to 2" of clearance between the tire and fender, The *GT* does NOT sit "high". The height of the GT is like that *for a reason*! Lowering a GT by ~1/2" is pretty safe. Beyond that, you have things to consider.

I lowered my t-bird by ~3/4" and I like it lowered. I went with the FRPP kit (they no longer make it). Still, during the winter, it sucked as a daily driver. Now, I drive a FWD car in the winter. :)

I'm now in my "what spring/combo" phase for my stang. I have over a dozen springs (do NOT ask, or I will vent and want to take out contracts to *KILL* people because of the PURE BS that used to be posted about springs!).

I've been doing Electrical and Mechanical engineering (Elec is my strength and bread and butter) for over a dozen years. So, I was super surprised when I went to get some spring info on my *20* year old car, and got tons of bogus info.

Many people don't have an idea on tolerances, or how important the *whole* package is. Add in the shorter k-frame and smaller fender opening on my '86, and it's been a nightmare! So, over the winter, I got over a dozen books, plenty of springs, talked with some manufactures through work (I do some ME stuff) and worked through the BS posted again and again in the forums.

Remember: Most people are trying to help!!! But, without engineering experience, it's hard tell between "what's luck" and "this will always" work.

So, like with the EEC, I'm taking the experience of MANY others and the HELP and information from MANY others and shorting out what's luck, good idea, bogus info. In reality, I'm mainly checking facts and information. The MANY other people on the forums are providing the core information! Then, I add in science, math, engineering, and hopefully result in some reliable information.