NEED HELP PLEASE!

96GTDee

Oct 25, 2020
Chester, VA
I have a 1996 GT Convertible 4.6L Auto Transmission and it will not start. I can get it to turn over but it will not run. I changed the TPS, and the IAC valve. I drove it around the block and when I came to a stop sign my RPMs were almost nonexistent so i turned around ag went back home. When I got home I cut off the car and tried to start it again but it would just crank but not start. Like I said Just replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the Idle Air Control Valve. I did Ohms test on Coils and changed spark wires!

Please help before the wife tries to get rid of my ride for a Tesla!!!

• Sponsors (?)

What was the reason for changing the TPS, IAC, and wires? Was this done before or after your car stopped running?

Have you run codes? What are they?

You think you got problems now? You should buy the Tesla. :rlaugh:

You need to go back to the basics and troubleshoot. Air, Fuel, Spark compression.

Check the air filter and look to make sure no furry animal has decided to build a nest in your intake tracks.

Fuel. Have you verified the fuel pump is working and you have adequate fuel pressure at the rail? Have you checked resistance on the injectors (14.4ohms) and triggered each with a 9V battery to ensure they are working?

Spark. Have you pulled a plug, grounded it out, and verified if you have spark (or use spark tester)

Compression. If everything else checks out, run a compression test to make sure you didn't lose a head gasket.

If there aren't any stored engine codes, there's usually no reason to replace random parts. Most likely, I would suspect fuel pump/regulator here. Rent a fuel pressure tester and check that.

You need to go back to the basics and troubleshoot. Air, Fuel, Spark compression.

Check the air filter and look to make sure no furry animal has decided to build a nest in your intake tracks.

Fuel. Have you verified the fuel pump is working and you have adequate fuel pressure at the rail? Have you checked resistance on the injectors (14.4ohms) and triggered each with a 9V battery to ensure they are working?

Spark. Have you pulled a plug, grounded it out, and verified if you have spark (or use spark tester)

Compression. If everything else checks out, run a compression test to make sure you didn't lose a head gasket.

If there aren't any stored engine codes, there's usually no reason to replace random parts. Most likely, I would suspect fuel pump/regulator here. Rent a fuel pressure tester and check that.
Thank you very much for your help, everything works!

Ok so after a very long troubleshooting process it was the IAC Valve. The original IAC was broken and I replaced it with an IAC valve that was not a ford OEM part so it didn't open all the way causing my stang to stall out.