Need Help Selecting A Cam

Hector manuel perez

Sep 5, 2017
Some Help please...if mechanic swap camshaft strip/street.....to my stock 5.0...does he need to change something else.....car has 355 gears..stage one clutch...under drive pulleys and coold air intake....I'm not thinking on change nothing else....just make some hp....hope you guys can help

• Sponsors (?)

lets start from the beginning

someone wants to swap your stock HO cam to an aftermarket cam?
do you have stock heads, intake, Mass Air, Throttle body?
Why are you wanting to do this.
Also, underdrive pulleys are horrible on a street car. They cause all sorts of charging and cooling problems, Put the stock pulleys back on

Reactions: 1 user
Ed curtis drops by periodically, he would have a really good idea, I forgot his screen name though. Help @karthief

Have you tried calling the different cam companies for advice? They'll be able to tell you almost exactly what cam you would want.

lets start from the beginning

someone wants to swap your stock HO cam to an aftermarket cam?
do you have stock heads, intake, Mass Air, Throttle body?
Why are you wanting to do this.
Also, underdrive pulleys are horrible on a street car. They cause all sorts of charging and cooling problems, Put the stock pulleys back on
I tough was gaining some power but everything is stock...

If you're going to pull the motor down far enough to install a cam you might as well at least throw a set of Explorer GT40 heads and intake on it. That way you can take advantage of the cam.

The Comp XE264HE would work well for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, lets help you out, after all, thats what your here for, you got a stang with a couple bolt ons, better headers, good call, underdrive pullies, not so good, cooling and charging issues are not worth the couple horses you get.
Street/strip cam is a relative term.
If you want a good running dailey driver then plan a head, cam and intake swap, lots of choices there. A gear change will make a bunch of difference, plan a brake upgrade and sub frame connectors, make sure your bushings and ball joints, rear upper and lower control arms are good.
Does no good to go fast but not stop or turn.
There are a couple threads in the 5.0 tech section. Go to tech/how to threads and look for upgrades that have been done, salvage yard parts that work and testing procedures, if you have a problem now adding stuff will make it worse and harder to diagnose so check for codes, you can have codes present and not have a check engine light on so you may not know about a problem.
So make a plan, what you are going to do with the car, its important.

Haven't....I just talk to mechanic this weekend so is all new for me

I would suggest something that may ruffle some feathers...

Find another mechanic.....

If you still have a completely stock engine with a few minor bolt-ons and he suggests a camshaft change, he's doing you wrong.

First - Check the budget.

You need a set of heads and a better intake manifold long before you look at a camshaft.

A set of Twisted Wedge heads with an Explorer intake would be a great start. If the budget can handle it, a Holley SysteMAX 2 intake, 75mm throttle body and a better exhaust system is where to go. Once you have that under your belt, then look into a camshaft and valvetrain package.

Let me know if I can help you out with this build because we do plenty of them.

Ed

Reactions: 5 users