Need Help/thoughts

tgrip419

Apr 5, 2015
Firstly i apologize this has probably been posted b4 so sorry in advance. Need new idea as im fairly cirten its electrical somehow. I have an 02 gt jus over 60k miles 1 owner b4 me (happen to b my biology teacher). She had it since new ive had it 2 yrs. Only mods r cold air borla catback and sct 4 tuner yesterday. Now about a year ago driving down the road with my buddy he is a mechanic the car litteraly just died shut off mid drive didnt even notice it till i couldent turn! Not spits or sputters electrical was all present jus died. Threw it in neutral n started right back up. Never did it again until yesterday put tuner in and did it twice yesterday..not every drive but same situation stoped started immediatly..so the forst time i thought it was a fuel pump maybe goin out but replaced nothing and did it yesterday..so im fairly positive its electrical....any ideas or experience would b greatley apprieciated thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I wish you would have bought the car from your English teacher, rather than your Biology teacher. That was a tough read?!?

Step number one, before anything else....have you tried running the car for codes?

I wish you would have bought the car from your English teacher, rather than your Biology teacher. That was a tough read?!?

Step number one, before anything else....have you tried running the car for codes?
...sorry was on my phone, and yes no codes not anything. As simple as it sounds no other problems no codes hesitations or anything.

Could be electrical? Loose battery cable? Something in the electrical grounding out? I had Ford Ranger a few years ago that was making a loose connection with the ECU. It would randomly die on me the same way you described. Had to clean up the ECU connection.

Usually if it's a fuel related issue, it'll sputter and buck before hand....then die. It sounds to me like it's instant.....like an ignition related problem?

Could be electrical? Loose battery cable? Something in the electrical grounding out? I had Ford Ranger a few years ago that was making a loose connection with the ECU. It would randomly die on me the same way you described. Had to clean up the ECU connection.

Usually if it's a fuel related issue, it'll sputter and buck before hand....then die. It sounds to me like it's instant.....like an ignition related problem?
yes that's what im thinking, and now more so as ive taken my car back to stock tune and haven't had a problem since. im going o check all electrical i can get to this weekend. make sure all connections are solid. and yes your right it is just random like the ranger ill start with ecu as that's the only thing that keeps popping up.

yes that's what im thinking, and now more so as ive taken my car back to stock tune and haven't had a problem since. im going o check all electrical i can get to this weekend. make sure all connections are solid. and yes your right it is just random like the ranger ill start with ecu as that's the only thing that keeps popping up.
Guys in the Fox Body world sometimes have issues with "chip" tunes. Sometimes it's simply and issue of the chip not making the proper connection with the terminals in the ECU....other times its a corruption with the tune. Since your ECU isn't tuned with an add on chip, but with a flash controller, it's possible the issue could lay within the tune file itself? Try reloading it again now that you've removed it.

If it continues to act up with the program loaded and work fine without....then you've found your culprit. In which case I'd contact whomever made the program for you and see what they're able to do.

If this were my car the FIRST thing I would look at is the battery and battery cables.

Don't think that just because the motor was running at the time this couldn't be a battery issue.

No battery = no alternator.
No alternator = no motor.

Bottom line. Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system. Cut corners here at your own risk!