Need help with 66 steering column.

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Well, I made a mistake and bid on a steering column on Ebay that I didn't realize until near the end of the auction had no internals....it was just a tube with some wiring, so it looks like now I have to come up with some internals for it, a steering shaft, whatever bearings they use and some mounts and seals I guess, my NPD catalog has breakdown diagrams, but they don't even list a steering shaft part number...now I DON'T need the steering box and couldn't even use it anyway since I have a mustang II front suspension with a rack and pinion unit anyway...as it is I'm going to have to make or find intermediate shafts, I prefer to make them, but that's just me being cheap and not wanting to pay $150+ for the kit(besides I can find most parts I would need in a junkyard and can weld up whatever else so I'm not too worried about it) so I guess what I am really asking is where can I find internals? or am I going to have to use used ones?

• Sponsors (?)

wicked93gs:

Well, I made a mistake and bid on a steering column on Ebay that I didn't realize until near the end of the auction had no internals....it was just a tube with some wiring, so it looks like now I have to come up with some internals for it.
There are no internals. The 65-67 steering box has a long shaft.

Your cheapest option would be to modify the long shaft from the original box. Cut the shaft off and interface a double D joint.

View attachment 265440

A bearing/bushing at the end of the column will have to be fabbed. Not sure if a an intermediate shaft and a joint that will interface to the Mustang II rack is available in a salvage yard.

hmm, that sucks, I don't want to have to buy a steering box if I don't need it...anyone know the diameter of the shaft? is it possible to pull a longer shaft from another car and cut it down? as far as the mustang II kit R&P its actually a foxbody rack as far as I know, so finding a joint of some type should be easy...just about any shaft will work if its long enough(again, probably a foxbody shaft would be fine, I can weld two together if i need to)

Mustang steering shaft

I think Heidt sells a conversion setup that consists of the steering shaft, a urethane bushing for the bottom of your stock steering column, a bracket to hold the column in place at the bottom, 2 U joints, and a connector shaft that goes from the column to the steering box that you trim to fit. You can use your stock steering wheel (or an aftermarket wheel if you like) BTW the shaft dia. is 3/4"

Good luck