need help with a aod swap, speedo and wiring......

streetgrande69

Founding Member
Nov 2, 2002
Splendora, Tx
how do i know what speedo gears i need? the tranny in it is a fmx. i want to have a working speedo after i do the swap, so does anyone know.
also how do i wire it up for the nuteral safety switch/reverse light?is there a diagram avalible?

also this is what i have(or getting) for the swap. i have the flex plate in my car currently. 28oz 164 teeth.
i'm getting the aod, cross member and yoke with block plate.
i still need the dip-stick, tv cable, pig tail, and the shift rod, but i know where to get them.

am i missing anything?

thanks and yes i did do a search before i asked

• Sponsors (?)

streetgrande69 said:
how do i know what speedo gears i need? the tranny in it is a fmx. i want to have a working speedo after i do the swap, so does anyone know.
also how do i wire it up for the nuteral safety switch/reverse light?is there a diagram avalible?

also this is what i have(or getting) for the swap. i have the flex plate in my car currently. 28oz 164 teeth.
i'm getting the aod, cross member and yoke with block plate.
i still need the dip-stick, tv cable, pig tail, and the shift rod, but i know where to get them.

am i missing anything?

thanks and yes i did do a search before i asked

if the drive gear on the aod has the same number of teeth, then the driven gear you have now should be ok, provided you haven't changed the rear gears. ford had 2 different drive gears for the tranny one for numerically lower gears (highway gears up to about 3.55 or 3.70) and the other for numerically higher gears (3.89, 4.11 etc.) to the best of my memory anyway. as far as the backup light switch goes i don't think you have to do anything since the fmx's switch is actually mounted in the shifter unit itself and not on the tranny. now you will have to wire up the lock-up for the OD, but i don't think you will have any other wiring to do, unless the AOD has to have the back-up lights wired through the tranny to function properly, i don't think it does. let me know how it goes as my AOD is still sitting in the storage shed until i have the money to get it built

Roddster67 said:
I just did the AOD swap in my 67 with the C4.
The pig tail had to be sliced into the reverse light circuit.
If you get the Windsor-Fox kit, it explains everything.

i just went to the W?F web site and didn't really see a "kit". i did see a harness, same one i have. what kit?

i guess i post over here so much, i forgot about the TECH section....... :shrug:

Sorry, not a kit, but all the goodies you will need to do the swap. Some people here on the boards scrounge around to get the parts cheaper--I don't have that kind of time, plus at least I know the stuff I got from Windsor-Fox works (they're also in a lot of magazine writeups).