Need Help With Anti-theft System

Hurstie77

Jun 16, 2017
Hi! I'm From Ohio and own a 2000 Ford Mustang. Somehow today I did something my car didn't like and my anti theft system is activated. We tried all the YouTube and Google tips and tricks to no avail. It's currently sitting in a parking garage st our local hospital. Ford service is closed until Monday. Does anyone know the proper technique to reset the anti theft system? We've tried both keys already and they aren't copies. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

There are no dashes. The battery light and one other light is on when the key is turned on and the theft light flashes rapidly. After several minutes the flashing slows and eventually stops. At this point (after about 10 minutes) we have tried several variations of locking and unlocking the car, using both original keys, to no avail. We towed it home today and it's now in the garage with the battery unhooked. Someone else posted to completely unhook the battery and let the car sit for a couple of days. I doubt that will work either ....

We towed it home today and it's now in the garage with the battery unhooked. Someone else posted to completely unhook the battery and let the car sit for a couple of days. I doubt that will work either ....
So do I.

The crank with no start check lists has a number of specific tests meant to be performed in order. The results of each test provides clues as to WHERE to focus looking for the problem. It not just a series of tests to be done and that's it.

The theft light flashing fast does indicate a PATS "issue". But as I stated before you really don't KNOW if the problem is in the PATS system itself or in the PCM.

One of the tests is to turn the key on but do NOT crank. Listen for the fuel pump to run. Do you HEAR the fuel pump run? IF the fuel pump runs for a few seconds at initial key on, this indicates the PCM is alive and working at some level.

Does the check engine light go off during cranking? If yes this means the PCM is getting a good CKP sensor signal. It also means the PCM is alive and functioning at some level.