need help with cracked intake manifold

BrutalStang

Aug 2, 2004
PA
me and my son are looking into getting a car as sort of a project thing, something we can work on together.

im looking at buying this thunderbird, its a 1996 thunderbird with the 4.6L V8. looks to be the same thats in the mustang. problem with the car is it has a cracked intake mani. and its about 65 miles away from where i live. is there anyway to "rig" it to not drink coolant for the ride back? everything else is fine with the car, just this one problem. i just dont want to have to trailor it back here. also, what other problems could there be if it was run with the crack and "drank" coolant fluid?

the reason im looking into this car is insurance would be less when we get it running for my son to be able to drive it too, but the 4.6 has MANY aftermarket parts to make it great (have you heard about the after market parts for the 4.6???? :) )

thanks for any help guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I really dont think you are going to be able to get out of towing it. I mean unless you are Macgyver and have a paper clip and some saran wrap I dont see how you would be able to rig something up to safely get it home. You have an 03 Explorer so towing it shouldnt be a problem...

Potential problems if it "drank" coolant... Well I mean you always have the potential for major problems if it got too hot in the process eg headgaskets/heads ect... I have also heard of people hydrolocking the engine and then snapping a rod though I think this is a pretty rare occurance. Seems that cracked intake manifolds are extremely common with early model 4.6's. As far as aftermarket parts go, No I havent heard of them *cough*cough* see signature below.