Need help with double turn signal wiring

Henceforward

The Avatar Master
Founding Member
Jul 17, 2001
I started a thread a while back, but I am back to square one because the info did not lead me to a fix.

1992 GT...

I have inner (closest to the Ford oval) turn signal blinkers with Black, Brown, Green wires.

The outer running lights have only black and brown.

How do I make these lights blink alternately?

Here is a diagram.
attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

Read this page, it tells you how to do it, I used this to do mine, I think i was actually one of the first people to do this to a mustang.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/exterior/altlights.html

As far as I can remember, the color of the wires in the diagram are the same if not similar to the mustang, which made it easy for me to do. I did this a long time ago so I don't remember that well....

It also only flashes alternatively when you have the parking lights turned on, and flash together with them off....Hope that helps?

This is not right...

The outside light does not have a green wire. Only Brown and Black.

This picture shows that the outer lamps have green/white wires...
seq-front.gif

My car, has exactly what I find in the Haynes Chassis Electrical System.

14BR to L.H. Side marker lamp, then to 57BK, there are no other wires that power the single fillament bulb.

I am confused, and this diagram was the one that led me in the wrong direction.

I keep getting that there is a ground wire on the side marker, but it is not on my car, or in the book.

Attachments

• seq-front.gif
    seq-front.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 117
Henceforward... this is super easy. I got confused at first, but kicked myself in the butt when i figured out my simple mistake.

That diagram is for a Ford T-bird or somethign.. yours are just backwards. Your inner blinking light should have 3 wires of Black, Brown, and Green. Your outter lights should have only Black and Brown.

You want to CUT the BLACK wire from the outter light, extend it with wire, and tie it into (like a T connection) the GREEN wire from your inner marker light (blinker light).

In the end, you should have the ground wire coming out of your outte marker light bulb, and tying into the green wire on your inner marker light.

If you need any other help, just ask... i finished mine and it's pretty cool!

5.0GT: It's very easy, it would take you 10 minutes taking your time.

With no lights on, both inner and outter marker lights will act as one blinker. With your headlights or running lights on, they will blink (edit) alternatively.. one after another. I have a couple small video's from my digicam, i could email them to you if you'd like. Give me an email at [email protected] and ill send em over.

It worked just like I wanted it to! Thanks Guys!

Wiring%20Diagram%7E1.jpg

This makes it work perfectly.

They alternate when the parking lights/ headlights are on.

And they blink together when the lights are off.

Great fix, I am glad it worked!
:nice:

I did this too and its cool, I just want them to be the same brightness. seriously, the inner one is way brighter when it blinks. and I can't remember right now if the inner stays on while the outer blinks and then gets brighter when the outer is off. (pretty sure it does - I'll check after work) anyone know how to fix that?

siege: Your right, the inner marker light stays on "running light" and gets brighter when it acts as the blinker. Reason being, it is a double filliment bulb.. the outter marker light is only a single filliment bulb so it can only go so bright.

Not sure if they make a single filliment bulb for the inner marker, but it might be worth a try if you could find one?

5.0GT: Try to use the same guage wire as the stock wiring, it's pretty small, like 18 or 20 guage i think, doesn't really matter what guage wire you use.

As you know, our mustang blinkers only blink with the inner marker light. With this mod, people beside you can see whether or not your turning. It also looks pretty sweet :D

Asha'man said:
So what happens to the black wire on the outer (formerly non-blinking) light? You splice the light end of it into the green wire on the other light, but what about the remaining black? Cap it, or let it hang, or what?

Ash

The remaining black wire is just the ground for the outter bulb, which you are not using any more. You can leave it, tape it, cap it, whatever... try to make it look nice and your good to go.

I just taped mine up with some electrical tape and tucked it into the stock harness' wire loom.

Could you connect it together, or do you have to keep that black wire running from the harness to the outer lights out completely? Referring to ash's post, do you have to let that wire just hang there, or could you just keep it spliced and connected to the green wire? In other words, could you have the black wire on the outer lamp stay in tact and have the green wire spiced into it? It's hard to explain but I think you guys might get it. I just hate having wires that lead to nowhere on my car. It always seems like a hazard to me.

Chris

edit: I just watched the videos that were sent to me. Looks pretty sweet. :nice: Anyway, does the outer light not stay lit now with the new wiring? In the one video it shows that it only came on when it was blinking, and that it wasn't on when the other lights are on?

mine is on with the rest of the lights. anyway, I don't think it'll work if you leave the ground connected. just cut it short so it can be tucked back inside the wire loom and forget about it. but do put tape on the end first