Need Help With Engine Install: PICS

Oct 7, 2003
I, well my mechanic friend, is having some trouble getting a '02 GT engine into my 1996 GT. Things are going well, however he has a few questions.

Number 1:

Why is this old one:
idontknow.jpg

different from this new one:

newidontknow.jpg

Number 2:

What's up with the PCV? They're different, what should I do?

Old:
oldpcv.jpg

new:
pcvnew.jpg

Number 3:

These fuel injectors are different colors, does this mean anything?

old:
fuelinjectors.jpg

new:
newinjectors.jpg

Final question:

This picture shows the old harness on the new engine. The plugs highlighted with a red arrow don't have anywhere to plug in. Help.

cables.jpg

And to those who like this sort of thing, here's some candid photos of the transplant.

car.jpg

empty.jpg

And some eye candy from the 2005 Seattle International Car Show:

druel.jpg

druel2.jpg

druel3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

the fuel system and ignition are totally different on the two motors. i would swap all your 96 wiring, fuel rails and injectors from your 96 over to the new engine

I just did that swap two weeks ago. The EGR will work perfectly, put your old valve cover grommet, or get a new one, where that PCV valve goes, and insert the PCV valve as normal. Undo the four nuts holding the fuel rail on and wiggle the fuel rail with injectors off and swap between the two motors. You have a RETURN system, the system on that engine is Returnless, it wont work period. Your coil packs will need to be swapped over, its like 6 bolts/nuts for the whole swap. Take the wiring harness and all of those individual coils and throw them on your garage floor. you dont want any of that crap. Take the harness and like i said coilpacks and fuel rail off your old engine and swap to the new. You also need to swap your oil pressure sending unit. Its near the oil filter. You can find it pretty easy.

The top red arrow connector, plugs into the evap emission purge valve located on the firewall near the passenger side.

The second arrow connects near the battery on the driver side. :) Good luck

Looks like you're in WA if you've got pics of the car show? Lemme know if you need help

besides the cam swap someone was mentioning, not a bad idea while it's out of the car.... can't see if the new intake has the alum. crossover. If it's not there get it off and get the alum crossover intake.

Thanks for your posts guys. Very beneficial. I would love to do a cam swap, headers, etc. but my current funds won't allow it. However,I'll be satisfied with a new engine for a while.

Turbo, your post was extremely helpful. But you didn't mention anything about the timing cover. Was that just implied that I would need to swap it over? I've heard conflicting responses on what to do there. From looking at it myself it looks like it would need to be swapped, but then again I'm not very mechanically inclined.

i have the same engine in my 96 gt and the only thing i used on the new engine were my old fuel rails and coil packs, i used the pink injectors. you dont nnot need to swap over your timing cover just use the one on the 02 engine. your coil pack should mount up with no problem on the driver side but on the passenger side i used a spacer to pull it away from the timing cover so that in would not get in the way of the belt, nothing hard to do at all. if you need any more help send me a pm with your number and ill try to help as much as i can.